Fast transistors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
janneman said:
Hi, I'm looking for

- complementary transistors,
- small signal (say ~1W Pc),
- Vce min 120V. They MUST have very
- low capacitance / very wide bandwidth.

I'm trying to push a Vas stage to 20MHz open loop. I'm looking at less than 10pF Ccb...

This is not easy, I would say.
You could find higher voltage fast transistors. Suitable.
But the hook may be Complementary NPN-PNP.
This would reduce your options the most.

Of course there are not so many fast at 1 Watt (as it is at 0.5 Watt).
I would look for VIDEO Transistors.
They usually can take higher volts and they are fast.
But video not often come in complementary pairs.

The best VAS transistors I have seen mentioned in forum
are some complementary Panasonic devices.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
lineup said:
We have had some good topics on VAS transistors.
With good suggestions :cool:

Try this www.google.com search:
Code:
site:[url]www.diyaudio.com[/url] vas transistors

Direct link:
Google search VAS transistors

:)

Thank you lineup, I wasn't aware that you can search this way with Google in diyaudio! I always used the internal forum search which is less than perfect...;)

Jan Didden

janneman said:
Hi,

I'm looking for complementary transistors, small signal (say ~1W Pc), Vce min 120V. They MUST have very low capacitance / very wide bandwidth. I'm trying to push a Vas stage to 20MHz open loop. I'm looking at less than 10pF Ccb...

Any ideas?

Jan Didden
Hi Jan,

Hi Jan,

I am sorry if I speak out of turn and offer not quite what you are looking for but something you may want to toy with and works very well in an audio aplications.

Now these transistors are not nearly the voltage that you are looking for (30V), but have sucessfully used them not so very long ago in a commercial application that measured beyond expectation.

The 2N5943 and 2N5583 are not complimentary pairs but they work really well together. Ccb is a respectable 1 -2 pF and Ft around 2.4 GHz Hfe is around 200. Dissipation is 2 watt.

Nico

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Fast transistors?

Nico Ras said:

Hi Jan,

Hi Jan,

I am sorry if I speak out of turn and offer not quite what you are looking for but something you may want to toy with and works very well in an audio aplications.

Now these transistors are not nearly the voltage that you are looking for (30V), but have sucessfully used them not so very long ago in a commercial application that measured beyond expectation.

The 2N5943 and 2N5583 are not complimentary pairs but they work really well together. Ccb is a respectable 1 -2 pF and Ft around 2.4 GHz Hfe is around 200. Dissipation is 2 watt.

Nico

Hi Nico,

Yes, they are quite good, but that Vce=30V is really too low. I can cascode them but I think I will reach the point of diminishing returns then.

Jan Didden

jacco vermeulen said:
If you like the A1407/C3601 and 120V will suffice, you are going to love the 2SA1538/C3953.
50-60 €ct, for example : Cricklewood in the UK should have them.

Unfortunately 120V is (also assuming a healthy safety margin) is very close to the limit for 100W/8ohm with MOSFET outputs...

Also try to find 2SA1406/2SC3600. Slightly lower ICmax, slightly lower Cob, same Ft=400MHz and half the price (at least 2SC3600, here in NA).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.