100W A classe with only 45W idle power dissipation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please comment.
I know there is a patent for this type of topologies ...
The no feedback output stage has 2.5A idle current.
The classAB output stage run at 220mA idle current

Attachments

• aclasse.jpg
    aclasse.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,063
Yes, I have seen this idea.
Even think it was mentioned in forum.
But I can not remember what that power amplifier is called.
There is even a website.

The idea is to have 2 parallel output stages.
One is only used for feedback+correction and the other is the real output stage.

Guys,

You make a big mistake ... Take a closer look at the schematic, it is not what you think it is.
The non feedback output stage, the one which run in pure A classe, is supplied from two 12V PSU and it has a floating ground supplied by output stage of the class AB amplifier.

roender said:
Please comment.
I know there is a patent for this type of topologies ...
The no feedback output stage has 2.5A idle current.
The classAB output stage run at 220mA idle current

I don't think this amplifier does what you hope it to. I believe the idea depends on the distortion of both output stages being largely identical. That will certainly not be so with one being a class AB stage and the other being class A.

Think of it this way. If the feedback around the class AB amplifier did a perfect job of eliminating distortion at the output of the class AB stage, then the signal that is fed forward from the input of the class A output stage would contain the inverse crossover distortion of the class AB stage. If the subsequent class A output stage were perfect, all of this inverse class-AB crossover distortion would appear at the output.

This idea, as implemented here, does not appear to work.

Cheers,
Bob

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
jacco vermeulen said:
Technics SE-A1 from the late 70s.
Looks great, especially the choice of parts, still waiting for Glen-K to finish his project.

The topology presented here is not as the Technics A+ patent, which used two completely seperate amplifiers with identical closed loop gain per channel - the class A amplifier with a low voltage power supply for the output transistors only, and the class B amplifier to drive the floating ground of this supply.

Cheers,
Glen

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
No, I never said that. The class B and class A amplifiers are completely separate.

Driving both output stages from the same front-end has the following disadvantages:

1) X-O distortion on the supply rails of the class A output stage is much higher as the class B / AB output stage is open loop.
2) The Class B / AB output stage loads the common VAS and increases VAS non-linearity.

The way the feedback is done in the posted schematic doesn't make much sense at all.

IMO from the output of class A stage would be best, but if you really want the class A stage without feedback then it should be taken from the input of that stage.

Like it is now the feedback tries to correct the crossover distortion from the AB amp which will make the voltage on the input to the AB and A stage have distortion to compensate for that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.