Amp for Selenium's 18SW1P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Guys,

So, this is my first post, and considering the number of failed first posts I have seen in this forum I have to admit I am a little nervous. First of all I want to introduce myself, my name is Rodrigo Brunale and I am a Electronic Music Producer from Brazil. I had my first experience with music production 5 years ago in Australia and havent been able to look away since than. Considering i am only 20 years old i am still a lot to learn, not only in the Music world but in everything else in life.

To be honest, I am still a virgin in the DIY world, but I am here to learn and hopefully add to this forum in the future. I have been around, reading and trying to learn as much as i can in my spare time. After a couple of months surfing this and other forums I can finally say this is the right time to ask for help. If i dont understand what you guys are saying i will say so, and ask for further explanation.

I attached to this post a spec sheet for a sub i am building. My initial idea is to build an amp to drive this speaker in a 250 liters box with 2 ducts of 16cm.

I guess i didnt manage to get you attention, but i am sure the information i need is in this forum, i just dont know where to find it.

All i am looking for is a well documented and previous tested amp that can give me around 500 to 800 watt. And before someone say i shouldnt be trying to build an amp like this on my first attempt, i should say that i have no intention on trying to build this by myself. I just think it is easier to find help when i have the plans in my hands.

Hi rod, welcome to forum..
You might want to try this one...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(Rod elliots project 117)

You better read the whole article and don't allow children
or pets around it...(link below)
http://sound.westhost.com/project117.htm

The amp is a ported , SUPER high power "blameless"
design, very common "schoolbook" topology.. (guaranteed to
work ) with a triple OP stage. One could omit 3-4 pairs
of output trannies and drop the voltages to +- 100v
for a modest 5-600 watts :D.
My frugal amp can be run at +- 80 volts with 10 output devices
for a good 400 watts as well.
My point is you can take many DIY designs and "port " them for more/less voltage /power with just a few minor changes.
the one above will cost 4-500 US dollars to build and has lethal voltages.
One could refine it to sound better, but as it is, it
will drive (blow) almost any driver out there...
OS

Many of the important details have been intentionally left out of that design, to prevent idiots from getting in over their head. The "Dirty Harry" design is a lot more fleshed out and closer to being copyable. If you use 10 pair of outputs on that, it will run on +/-100V safely and give the desired power.

And then there's this one (again). Same power as Project 117, but the details have all been worked out and I have 3 in service running off +/-127V. They should run up to +/-140 with no mods. If you strip the upper slave banks and bump up to 7 in parallel, it runs ok on +/-84V with very similar result to the Dirty Harry. I have that one running in the living room (the CS-800 clone).

For some reason the file wouldn't attach the first time. Tried again.

Attachments

• s-leach_inspired.png
    s-leach_inspired.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 136
First of all i want to say thanks for all your help!

Project 117 seems under documented for my needs. But fotios's Dirty Harry seems to be a very plausible amp for me to build. I will get in contact with him and try to find out more information about his design.

It might be a better idea for me to build a Class D amp, is there a well tested design around the forum? I dont know if i should open i knew post in the Class D forum or stick to this post. I am even considering ordering a Truepath or an AMP8 from 41hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.