NAD 3020A repair. Low output levels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I bought a NAD CD player for my home hi-fi and the vendor threw in his amp too (NAD 3020A). This was about a year ago and having briefly tested the amp and found it not to work it has been sitting in a box since.

I now have a need for the amp so have some motivation to fix it up. The problem is that the outputs are very low. It does play sound, but is only just perceptible at full volume; it is louder with the line voltage inputs connected directly to the speakers! Not much of an amp..

I'd be really grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Rog.

Thanks a lot for the replies. Much appreciated.

Stuey
If by the jumpers you mean a connector placed between the RCA Preamp out and LAB in connections, as pictured in the manual planet 10 kindly posted, then no. There is no such connector on my amp. I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to - i can't find anything else that looks obviously like a jumper either.

Planet10
Thanks a bunch for the great manual. This is much better than the service manual I found before.. but i still can't figure out what's up with my amp :(

any other ideas much appreciated!

Would it be worth my trying to use it as a preamp for my other amp to narrow down the fault possibilities?

Thanks again!

Rog.

It has just occurred to me that perhaps you (Stuey) mean that it should have these jumpers fitted..?

I guess as that's how it's pictured in the manual with no reference to it, perhaps that is the case.. I shall hunt around for something suitable to link them together with...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Roggg said:
It has just occurred to me that perhaps you (Stuey) mean that it should have these jumpers fitted..?

Yes. That is how the output from the preamp gets to the power-amp. The steel jumpers typically aren't as good as a decent patch cord (you might want to make up a short onr specifically for the job)

A common mistake (one i've made many times)

dave

Awesome! It works! Thanks a bunch. This is far easier than any fix I had imagined would be necessary! I would never have worked that out without you! :D

Why don't they label the back of the blumin amp though!? humph!

(blaming others for my own failings is much easier than blaming myself ;)

All the best,

Rog.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.