C-Audio Pulse Series Amplifier Problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2008, 07:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default C-Audio Pulse Series Amplifier Problem

I decided to set myself a challenge to fix a c-audio pulse 4x300 amplifier that was constantly in protect mode. Having replaced a control transistor and the soft start resistors in the power supply, and all 4 output transistors and the previous gain section on channel 4, I finally had a working amplifier, albeit still with some problems.
Firstly, channel 4 has a small amount of distortion added to any signal it amplfies. I took it apart again to troubleshoot this, and in the process decided to compare it to channel 4 that was previously working. Ch 3 now had no output, although the signal light was illuminated.
I turned it up, and once it got to 1/4 gain, the clip light came on, yet still no sound.
after much playing around, I have the following symptoms and hope someone here could point me in the right direction.

Channels 1,2 and 4 amplify the signal, and do not clip with a standard signal, channel 3's clip light illuminates at very low volume, and makes no sound.

When increasing signal ampilutude, both the channel with the signal and channel 3 clip, and noise is heard from channel 3

If the wire that takes the output sections signal to the board where the speakon connectors are, is removed, clipping a channel does not casue anything to happen to channel 3's clip light (it stays off)

with this wire removed, channel 3 still show clipping at low gain with signal on input to ch3

No dc present on output.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Ollie
Old 30th December 2008, 05:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to audiomachines
Happy New Year! Hope this helps.http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/legacy...rvice-info.pdf

Best regards,
audiomachines
Old 1st January 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have reasonable experience with the Pulse amps but not the 4ch version.

The service manual is quite useful and describes the circuitry in detail. I do remember reading a bit that said that the amp should never be run with the outputs disconnected from the back panel board so be careful.

The clip light on the amps is actually controlled by effectively a distortion measuring circuit so it indicates that there is something happening that the feedback loop is unable to correct for.

The interaction between channels is very odd, I'm puzzled!
Old 1st January 2009, 10:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default c-pulse 4x300

could it be a fault on the protection scheme?, all the protection of all the channels is controlled by a single chip (PIC Stamp)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Best regards,
audiomachines
Old 1st January 2009, 10:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've never seen any problems with the microprocessor and associated circuitry on those amps. There is a lot of limiting and protection which doesn't involve the PIC. The PIC mainly controls whether the amp is allowed to run or not and doesn't have any control over the audio path.
Old 1st January 2009, 11:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

how about the muting, that shuts down the LTP?
Old 7th February 2013, 12:55 AM   #7
alvinj is offline alvinj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

i am working on caudio pulse 650. it not starting up the 24v supply for the switching ic sg3525a is pulsating from 5v to 23v. even if the switching ic is disconnected from the the startup supply, checked tr50 all the zeners in the start up supply no joy

Hide this!Advertise here!