transformer and transistor question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If a transistor is wired in wrong, can it hurt the transformer?
I suspect I have a transistor wired in wrong in my power amp I have built... the 300 watt mosfet http://www.circuits-lab.com/?p=81
My transformer gets extremely hot and starts to make a fizzle sound and there is no audio. I have my transformer and power supply setup as a test unit for all power amps I build, so I know that the power supply is correctly wired.

AndrewT said:
that's why I have to keep repeating that one should use a bulb tester for the start up of EVERY project and for the modification of EVERY project.

I AGREE WITH YOU.

I HAVE OFTEN LOST OUTPUT DEVICES THIS WAY.

AFTER I BUILD IT I AM ALWAYS SURE THAT IT IS CORRECT.

I AM PROVEN WRONG MORE OFTEN THAN I WOULD LIKE TO ADMIT.

Nico Ras said:
Make sure that you have the mosfets placed correctly. Can you give your layout and I will browse through it to see if I can spot any mistakes.

Regards

Nico

Hi Nico...well, my layouts tend to follow the schematic exactly. ....part placement is exactly the same as the schematic. It just makes it easier for me to troubleshoot I guess. I did find my 2sj162 was wired wrong...I mistook the drain for the source and vice versa, I must not have looked at the schematic close enough. However, after correcting that, I plug in my amp and my transformer fizzles. I am assuming I probably ruined it from wiring the mosfet incorrectly. Am I correct in assuming that? Thanks for everyones help!

rtill said:

Hi Nico...well, my layouts tend to follow the schematic exactly. ....part placement is exactly the same as the schematic. It just makes it easier for me to troubleshoot I guess. I did find my 2sj162 was wired wrong...I mistook the drain for the source and vice versa, I must not have looked at the schematic close enough. However, after correcting that, I plug in my amp and my transformer fizzles. I am assuming I probably ruined it from wiring the mosfet incorrectly. Am I correct in assuming that? Thanks for everyones help!

I guess you have fried them.
:hot:

rtill said:

Have you put fuses after the transformer ?
If not it could be a transistor(s) is shorted and putting a huge load on the transformer and making it buzz.

Here is the pin out. It is different to HEXFET

Attachments

• untitled1.gif
    untitled1.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 296
rtill said:
ok...tested my transistors with a bulb tester, all test fine.
Put in a new transformer (30-0-30 3 amp Hammond))
Put in inline 3 amp fuses and they immediately blow when turning it on. What will cause this?

Lumba Ogir said:
Andrew,

Maybe you`re gonna get the Big Bulb Award for that effort someday.
How does one blow a 3A fuse when using the bulb tester?

AndrewT said:

How does one blow a 3A fuse when using the bulb tester?

Could be 55W 12V car light bulbs.

rtll,

rather post your PCB layout or send it to me, it sounds as if you got something wrong.

This amp is very simple, and that could be the reason for making a mistake.

You may overlook your mistake because you have the net-list in your head and what you see is not necessarily what you think you see.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.