pic of my last power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are some pics of my last power amplifier, the design is mine.
As you can see the components used are normal, so the sound must be crap;) but is quit good. I even use ceramic caps on the compensation;) the toroidal transformer cost me 5 euro and the case is from a dead counterpoint

best regards

Ricardo

Attachments

• apr08#43.jpg
    apr08#43.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,269
Olá Pedro

não tenho o esquema no computador, mas é muito similar ao amplificador do self. aparece no canal audiofilia e eu dou-te umas dicas sobre a topologia dele.

Cumprimentos

Ricardo

Hi Pedro

sorry but i dont have the shematic here on the computer:( but look at the self blameless amplifier, they are look alike's. the basic topology is similar.

Regards

Ricardo

Some time I don’t make a post on the forum, and I don’t want some big discussion, so I’m here just show my work to the guys who like to see some ugly amplifiers:clown:

This is in fact my first real amplifier(monoblocs), the other where burning prototypes, you now what I mean!:D:D:D

I started building this amplifier when I was 17, only finished when I was 18, every thing was made by me, the case was the thing that gave more work as usual :) the case was actually never finished, the aluminum as to be polished and anodized, and some details to be improved, but I never had the guts to disassemble the amps! I love them just the way they are!:D:D:D:D

Some of you that read the elektor magazine will recognize the board...about the topology... it's a 3 stage symmetrical design, consisting of a dual cascade differential stage without degeneration and a VAS stage, followed by a triple emitter follower output stage, you can also see an separate board that is a separate power supply for the input stage based on LM317\337 and that’s about it...

The null performance is something like 3mv at 1khz and 30mv at 10khz with a 2volt peak to peak input. there is still a lot to improve, but it's my best measuring amplifier, and of course is my best sounding one...mind you guys that in the same test my big friend Tube Dude has an amplifier designed by him that measures something like 1mv at 1khz and 2 mv at 10khz!!!!!!!!!! probably the best analog amplifier in the world...(don’t mind asking the schematic to him, because he doesn’t give it even to me:bawling: :bawling: :D ) that my target for the future... By the way I’ve like to leave here a big thanks to him because all the help he gave me and for leading me on the right track! Thanks!

Best Regards to all the forum menbers

Ricardo

Attachments

• dscn0040 1.jpg
    dscn0040 1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,362
You can find one of the self blameless amplifier schematics on this link or buy the book... don’t agree on everything written on it but it's one of the best books on the subject...

Link: http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/dipa/dipa.htm

my implementation of the blameless is very far from it by now...

The mains fuse is near the inlet inside the amp and it is out of sight... I don’t use supply rail fuses... you should now the reason...
The amp actually used a slow start device but I had to use it on a big class A amplifier I made for a friend, it had a huge power suplly!!!:D

I was expecting some design question, but that seams no one cares about that ones...

been working on these amplifiers and by now they measure something like 2mv at 1khz and 10mv at 10khz... more closer to the wire with gain than ever!!!!:D:D:D:D

Regards

Ricardo

Excuse my ingorance, but I've never heard of this parameter before. Can someone please explain?

I was talking about the null test. you can find a lot of information on it in the forum, specially the contribution made by Tube Dude and in some hafler manuals... the xl600 excelinear I think...

Those boards look very nice:)

Im just beginning to think about building my own amp and am curious.

I think you should start with a simpler project, something like the P3a or one of the self variants...
My design is a bit complex, it has large amounts of open loop gain and without a cautious layout will be a pain to get stable, so it isn’t a beginners project...:(

regards and good luck to your project

Hey Ricardo!

I dig the proto board amps. What's so ugly about that man? I repair old 1960's vintage guitar tube amps that are point to point wired!!! Now THAT'S ugly. Hey, it also looks like you wound your torroid transformer yourself...... Where did you get the parts? LOL.... To let you know.... I just finished 2 500Watt amps. I ordered PC boards from Australia and stuffed them up and the amps are incredible.... No hiss, no hum.... Just pure ear candy. Thought you may be interested......

Chris

Hi Chris

I love protoboards, they are the easiest way to make amplifiers and to try new topologies! About the toriod LOLOL:D it's an old ILP transformer I bought on a shop here in Lisbon for 10 euros! it’s from an old kit I think, but the transformer works very nicely!

The box from that amp is an counterpoint NPS 100!:D:D:D:D a crap that amplifier was! now it's dead!!!!:dead: LOL

Those guitar amps with leaking caps and old valves sound even better;)

Nice to see that you where successful with your project, I've seen the thread on you post the pictures, they look very nice. I didn’t make a post there because I want to keep my post count to a minimum, as my view aren’t always welcome (I have various post on texas:D:D:D:D) and I don’t want more trouble.
And now it's time to buy a signal generator and a scope and start doing some of the mods I proposed to you...If you want I can draw a schematic of the amplifier with my mods included...

I think you will like even more!

By the way I don’t need such a powerful power amp! 100w for me is more than enough...and as you probably know that higher power brings more problems...

cheers

Ricardo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.