Recommend a high power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need an amp for subwoofer use. I would like something like a commercial PA amp with high power capability. I would like to find a sweet spot that includes low price, easy parts or module availability, half decently rugged. I have experience building electronics.

Optionally, it would be nice to have some safety features that you sometimes get in a Crown or QSC amp. Overload protection, clipping protection, stuff like that. I won't be abusing it, just nice to have if it is part of the overall package.

Post what you so I can research it through. Thanks:cloud9:

It's very hard to beat the watts/dollar of a used "pro" (or hifi) power amp. I've seen a Behringer EP2500 (about 600w/4ohms/channel) and a Peavey PV8.5C (about 425w/4ohms/channel) at a local second hand/pawn outlet for not much over $200. Unless you have access to some motherlode of surplus and salvaged goodies, $200 will just about get you a case and transformer and maybe heatsinks. Even paying a "fair" price of nearer $400 for a used amp ain't that bad a deal. A used amp will also have resale value, unlike most DIY amps.

Now, if you can pick up a broken pro amp very cheap, that will save a lot of parts chasing and cost. One possible amp to build is the venerable ETI 466.

But, those LM3886 chip amps are cheap and rugged... a paralled bridged arrangement can turn out some respectable power without needing high supply rail voltages. You could build in some flexibility by including jumpers to convert it to two or 4 channels if that's more useful in the future.

I've been using a QSC RMX2400 for sub use and like it a lot but some say 'you get what you pay for' referring to the RMX line. PLX is said to sound much better but you're going to sped a lot more.

I won my RMX2400 on ebay for about $300 and run it bridged into 8 ohms for about 1500 watts with two JBL sub1500s.:)

The fan in it was a bit loud so I swapped it out with something quieter!;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.