a wonderfull sziklai

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sorry guys

there you go

Attachments

• joy200.jpg
    joy200.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 4,184
2pair of 1943/5200 on 56Vdc supplies cannot reliably drive a 4ohm speaker.
Even an 8ohm speaker would need to be of moderate reactance to keep this output stage reliable.
It will drive a 12ohm severe reactance speaker.

reduce the supply voltage <=50Vdc

and get rid of those 5401 in the input LTP and the driver being used as a VAS.

AndrewT said:
2pair of 1943/5200 on 56Vdc supplies cannot reliably drive a 4ohm speaker.
Even an 8ohm speaker would need to be of moderate reactance to keep this output stage reliable.
It will drive a 12ohm severe reactance speaker.

reduce the supply voltage <=50Vdc

and get rid of those 5401 in the input LTP and the driver being used as a VAS.

Have you tried it and have had reliability problems with it or just looking at the SOA plots?

I'd agree it maybe won't take full power sine into a serverly reactive |Z| = 4 ohm load at low frequency, but with music and a speaker (Re Z > 3 ohm or so most of the time) you would be ahead of many amps in terms of SOA with two pairs.

A NAD2200 has 2 pairs of similar devices and +-60V low voltage supply and +-90V high rail (rail switching). It's even rated to drive 2 ohm loads, but I wouldn't push it that far though...

The schematic presented does have a major flaw - no emitter resistors. There is not a chance of current sharing at +-56V without emitter resistors...

AndrewT said:
I'm referring to SOAR plots. when the devices are near cold, i.e. with a very large heatsink.
Using 100mS rating rather than my preferred DC or 1second rating at 55degC.

Nothing wrong with being conservative of course but I believe your face will turn pale in horror if you compare the SOA plots to what is done in most commercial amps out there :D (especially PA amps like QSC and Crest which use these devices)

Still, they work and are reliable... Modern transistors are much more immune to second breakdown than the old types. Temperature is mostly the limiting factor for them if voltage is relatively low. And really nothing special happens at 150 (though the plastic in the transistor case won't like more than 150 degrees average junction temperature) or 200 or 250 degrees C junction temperature, just that life is reduced (pretty fast though) the hotter it gets. So an occasional unlikely transient bringing the chip to 250 degrees won't hurt it. IIRC the thermal protection for the output array in the LM3886 (or was it the LM12?) activates at 225 or 250 degrees. It also has protection at 150 degrees for the low level stuff because that part won't work correctly at high temperature.

But that is also unlikely to happen, those huge power dissipation peaks that come with reactive loads are only about 5ms long even for the lowest audio frequencies.

One needs to be careful with emitter resistors though... Too small for the power supply voltage and thermal circuit and you will have runaway positive thermal feedback if the transistor gets too hot... Not good.

megajocke said:
I believe your face will turn pale in horror if you compare the SOA plots to what is done in most commercial amps out there
I did buy a cheap PA style amplifier to find out what was inside it.
I did turn pale in horror. 4pair of 1943/5200 running on +-90Vdc supply rails. I would not use it on 8ohm speaker and yet the importer specifies it for use with 4ohm speakers. I have never connected it to any of my speakers for fear of damaging them if the output stage failed to rail.

4pair of MJ21193/4 would be very acceptable but cannot be fitted to the heatsink.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.