LC Audio ZAPpulse - power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have ordered ZAPpulse modules to build a ZAPpulse PWM technology power amp. The modules are ready when they are delivere3d from LC Audio but I have to build a power supply. I have build speakers before, but never electronics. Except for some tweaks on my cd player. I have looked at other amps on the internet and I have been inspired by for example Aleph amps. How do you guys think this power supply would work with the LC Audio ZAPpulse modules? If there is something that is not so good with this power supply, what and why? Should I skip this construction and go for something else? Why and what?

Kindly regards

StefanB

http://www.lcaudio.dk/com/zp2.htm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi!

First of all, don't post the same questions to different forums. Pick the right one (in this case: Solid State or Digital), and ask one question...
EDIT: Saw that you've already been corrected...

You could use your supply design. But since the LCAudio modules are not very susceptibly to supply noise, I would first try omitting the choke from the supply. Always try the minimalistic approach first, then, if there are distortions, noise etc., add something which might prevent it.

That way you can save money and get the best performance.

OK, some people claim that snubber circuits etc. always improve sound quality, but you will see a lot of discussions on this board regarding the differences in sound quality and the ability to actually notice them...

If possible, always use a maximum of capacitance for supply (like with cars, the more, the better), but with as small caps as possible (better to use for example 2 * 10 * 10000 uF than 2 * 47000 uF...)

Bye,

Arndt

Hiya

First of all, you don't need to post your request 3 times. With the amount of members on this forum, your post will be read for sure.

A digital amplifier eh ?

Concerning the schematic you provided, it is a pretty standard power supply. I would bet my weekly income (uhhh well nothing for now) that 90% of the members here use this kind of power supply on their amplifier and/or preamp. (Well, maybe minus the two 3mH parts)

Those who doesn't are probably using batteries :)

Also, as you can see on the picture at the bottom of the page, they're using an even simpler power supply : 4700uF per rail and 1 bridge rectifier. Difficult to get simpler.

So you have 2 choices mainly determined by your budget.

Hope this helps !

I would not use chokes for that amplifier as it works better with constant current draw like one of the Alephs but less good with lower bias circuits like this one (if you can talk about bias at all here). Other than that it would be just fine. Probably needs a slow start though. You did not list your transformer rating but anything larger than 500 VA would probably be advisable.

PS. Since you are from Sweden you know that Elfa has a transformer made for amplifiers tha just happens to be 2*42 VAC at 800 VA which most likely would be perfect for this? Article: 56-139-97

The chokes might even increase the supply pumping problem a bit, so leave them out.

It is always good practice to have a PSU that has very low impedance at RF for switching amps. So instead of using 1x 22 uF blocking per rail it would even be better to use many smaller ones positioned close to the modules.

Regards

Charles

Stefan B said:
Ok, som the other powersupply was best for klass A amps. How about this one?

Looks much better. Since it does not add much to the cost and is easy to test you can also add some smaller value electrolytics like 1000 uF, some smaller value plastics like 1 uF and last something really small like 0.1 uF of something with low impedance at high frequency. Otherwise it looks good to me.

See you changed to the Elfa part for the transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.