NAD 304 integrated amp one channel fading problem - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2011, 09:17 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,
I have the same problem with my amp,
but when I checked the PCB and the relay on the board is not a Taiko DGX2-24M but an Omron G2R-2...
Does anybody knows if there is some special difference between those two? Or is it just an equivalent?
I'm looking for a replacement, and I'm wondering which one of the two I should be looking for...

Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 09:49 PM   #42
rhn is offline rhn  Canada
diyAudio Member

I cannot specifically answer your question.
(I primarily came back to this thread to give thanks)

This may or may not help. I used this post:

"Quote from post #13:
It is a very standard relay.
I use mostly JW2SN relays from Panasonic and i cut the two
unused lugs.
Try Omron too.
In Canada i obtain them from Digikey part no: 255-1118-ND

Best regards

I just replaced the relay on my 304 an hour ago using the part listed above.
Thanks for all who contributed to this thread. Problem solved!

Rick
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:34 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

I'd just like to say that I have a NAD 304 that was suffering from a faulty right channel. At low volumes it would it would drop out and crackle. At high volumes fine. Removing and refurbishing the relay mentioned in the thread seems to have solved the problem (I gave the copper contacts inside the relay a clean). Thanks for the informative thread guys.
Old 27th September 2012, 06:10 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Default Solved problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeed View Post
Hi Dima2000

I am repairing Nad for years now.

Replace the output relay and your 304 will be OK.

Good Luck!
Thanks a 1.000.000 times Highspeed, you saved my 304 (i was thinking of sell it!!)
Replaced the output relay with a really cheap one identical to the DEC i found in it (2 ) and now My NAD is singing again, better than my 3020 & 3120.

I love 304, what a damn good amp!!!
Old 27th September 2012, 06:16 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardloop View Post
I'd just like to say that I have a NAD 304 that was suffering from a faulty right channel. At low volumes it would it would drop out and crackle. At high volumes fine. Removing and refurbishing the relay mentioned in the thread seems to have solved the problem (I gave the copper contacts inside the relay a clean). Thanks for the informative thread guys.
Then you turn on yor 304, you hear a channell missing and crackling, sometimes the right, sometimes on the left, so you increase volume and "think" you fixed it
It's the same issue we all here have had on Nad 304,but just follow what HIghspedd says: just replace the output relay and your 304 will be OK.
Old 15th November 2012, 12:13 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

I just popped the cover off mine and rubbed the contacts together and bent them a little closer. It works perfectly now.
Old 18th December 2013, 02:28 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Thanks Highspeed!
I had the fading problem on my NAD 304 and the problem was the relay!
I desoldered it, opened (the cover can be removed easily), cleaned the contact with extra fine sandpaper and contact cleaner and then resoldered it. Now it work!

I also checked the resistance beetween relay contact before and after the cleaning:
before was really impredictable, sometimes 6 ohm, sometimes 50 ohm, depending on luck :-)
after cleaning always 0 ohm.

Thanks another time!
Old 6th March 2014, 04:25 AM   #48
yachadm is offline yachadm  Israel
diyAudio Member

See this excellent article about repairing the NAD 304

http://www.condoraudio.com/wp-conten...ir-Upgrade.pdf
Old 6th March 2014, 06:23 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Your 304 amplifier may perform better now that you replaced some failing components but you have made some odd part substitutions like those 3R3 power resistors used as base stoppers, yachadm. 1/2W is ample and likely better. Note that the emitter resistors you refer to are usually only ~ 0.22 ohms, not 3.3. There is only one such resistor here, in the collector of the upper power transistor and used for signal current sensing. I think you need to take a closer look at the schematic before telling us how excellent your upgrades and article are. Nice pics and composition, though.

Also, using larger, low noise resistors in the output stage is about as useful as power transistors at the input stage - pointless. The only benefit is to the manufacturer's income. Use low noise parts in the preamp and input stage, where you may get some measureable benefit in good designs that are already very quiet.
Old 6th March 2014, 06:58 AM   #50
yachadm is offline yachadm  Israel
diyAudio Member

Ian,

I didn't mention that I replaced the 0.22 ohm Bias resistors at all - there is no point in doing that - as long as they are in-spec, as you well know.

Those 3.3ohm's are not the Bias resistors. They were hot to touch, and one 3.3 ohm measured over 5 ohms. Too hot means that the original power spec was erroneous, and an up-rated replacement is in order.

Anyway, the originals were really crappy Chinese quality - I was surprised to see that in this NAD.

I did mention, and you can see clearly from the photo's, that ALL signal path resistors (including those in the preamp) were upgraded.

Comments are always welcome!

Menahem

Hide this!Advertise here!