NAD 304 integrated amp one channel fading problem - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2010, 03:01 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Hi Everybody,

I have the same problem(s) with my 304. After a few minutes listening Music - it stops and the frontside diode turned into red and never back into green. Since I´m a German my English might be bad - but I want to keep my 304 - can anybody give me a help.
Is it possible that the former posted "relay" thing is responsible for this problem as well??
Thanks

Jörg
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:33 PM   #32
kbook is offline kbook  United States
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, we haven't heard any feedback from a person who had that switching off problem also.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:20 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

I have the same issue here. I find it hard to find the same pin configuration here in Sweden.

Would this work in any way? Specifications seems ok.
https://www1.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/w...19bbdf5d02.jpg

Antal poler: 2
Kontaktfunktion: Changeover
Spolspänning: 24 V ac
Spolresistans: 253 Ω
Brytförmåga ac: 5 A @ 250 V
Brytförmåga dc: 5 A @ 30 V
Kontaktmaterial: AgNi
Montering: Socket
Längd: 29 mm
Bredd: 13 mm
Höjd: 35.5 mm
Old 4th February 2010, 07:39 PM   #34
kbook is offline kbook  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzel View Post
I have the same issue here. I find it hard to find the same pin configuration here in Sweden.

Would this work in any way? Specifications seems ok.
https://www1.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/w...19bbdf5d02.jpg

Antal poler: 2
Kontaktfunktion: Changeover
Spolspänning: 24 V ac
Spolresistans: 253 Ω
Brytförmåga ac: 5 A @ 250 V
Brytförmåga dc: 5 A @ 30 V
Kontaktmaterial: AgNi
Montering: Socket
Längd: 29 mm
Bredd: 13 mm
Höjd: 35.5 mm
I use this panasonic, the omron I ordered is smaller than I thought so I use my Panasonic. This will fit the NAD 304 for sure.

JW2ASN-DC24V Panasonic Electric Works General Purpose / Industrial Relays

Look like they have a sweden website also. Check it out.
http://se.mouser.com/
Old 24th February 2010, 06:22 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

hello dima and bmmach,

highspeed's absolutely correct, the same happenned to my 304 back in 2004 and this is what was exactly done to fix the problem. did you do the same and how's your 304 now?
Old 26th February 2010, 12:48 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Hi NAD 304,

Which diode are you referring to, the power or soft clipping indicator? Actually the amp turns off when either goes red. When my 304 had fading output back then, it was the soft clipping diode that went red and when it happenned, it didn't make any difference later whether soft clipping was switched on / off, whichever way the distortion was there and was only gone after the repairs were done.

Anyway, the 304 is a great amp as far as I'm concerned. I've used many amps since I went into audio, (no receivers, only integrateds) from the old sansui's up to whatever came out in the market, and I stopped at the 304.It looks canny - compact and very basic, no complications - but it sounds like a tube amp or other high-end SS amps. From my experience with the 304, you can blast it at different db's and whatever speakers are connected to it seem to take and adjust to its delivering power.
Old 29th July 2011, 08:54 PM   #37
geopapa is offline geopapa  Greece
diyAudio Member

I want to thank everyone in this thread for the valuable information.. As you may have guessed I'm another owner of this amp who made the repair. I had many "fade out" and "interrupt" or "weak sound problems" and solved them with only 5 euros cost.
I used this relay Relay
along with this base Relay Base
(I used the base for easy mounting in the future..)
I also changed r333 r334 resistors with 47K 1W.
My amp is working great again thanks to your help and a friend of mine (who did the soldering thing)
Old 7th August 2011, 04:09 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Hi Folks,

Firstly - thank you very much for the information about a fading 304. My beloved amp is 15 years old, and has just started doing the same thing.

I am about to order a new relay and i would like to ask some questions.

How easy is it to replace the relay? Can a novice do it, or should i take the amp to an electrical store? Will i need any special tools etc?

Many thanks for your help
Old 10th August 2011, 11:00 PM   #39
geopapa is offline geopapa  Greece
diyAudio Member

Yes you need special tools.And someone with basic knowledge of electronics to do the soldering. It is very easy if you have the tools required.
Old 8th September 2011, 06:20 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geopapa View Post
Yes you need special tools.And someone with basic knowledge of electronics to do the soldering. It is very easy if you have the tools required.
Hello there dismantled, geopapa's correct both ways, basic knowledge and special tools. Your amp being 15 years old is of no issue, things with quality age with grace, and that's the NAD 304! It's integrated pre-main amp circuit can even drive hi-output voiceboxes on its own, of course up to certain levels, but who's actually blasting their coils to their limits when listening at home?

Hide this!Advertise here!