Abomination! or Painting a Mustache on the Mona Lisa meets the Island of Dr. Moreau

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

Can I use the a970 c2240 for the input stage and MJ15030,31 for the vas?
I even don't understand the use of LED's. Do they bring any benefit?
For the power I want to use tosh 5200/1943. These cost 1.6euro (10pcs) instead 2.1euro (10pcs) for the ST one's.
Plus, the Toshiba devices are "matched" by suffix ST don't.

Thank You.

MJL21193 said:

Yes, it's true, lots of heat to get rid of. Yet, there are degrees - how much distortion is acceptable? Dropping the idle current down to ~80mA/device has the total dissipation at 50 watts and the distortion at 1k is still less than .01%. Choices...
This raises the question: is it worth this to eliminate global feedback? Will the benefits be heard or are they just assumed? Is global feedback that bad?
Surely, for quiet listening the fact that the amp will be effectively operating class A should be an improvement.

Why should the amp operate in class A?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
CECCO said:
Is this a Class-A amplifier?

Hi,
First, which amp are you asking about? The start of this thread has the Abomination amp - the complete schematic for that amp is in post #1. BOM and PCB layout are available.

Further along I have been playing with another design (first named Bain, but changed to Havoc). That amp is the schematics that are in the latest posts. It is not finished, untested and does not have a board layout yet.

CECCO said:

Why should the amp operate in class A?

Neither amp runs class A - just the Havoc amp with no global feedback would run a high bias (.2A per device).

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
jacco vermeulen said:

Truly remarkable.

Is that good remarkable or bad remarkable? :D
Any day now I'll order them...

jacco vermeulen said:

(John, if your XX's come close to resembling your avatar maybe we can still work out a deal afterall, whatever their residual mileage)

Ah Zooey, just looking at her cheers me up. :angel:

Beauty - it truly is skin deep. The exes were pretty on the outside but it's hard for me to see that now, once all of the ugliness oozes to the surface and obscures the features...

Ok, I lower the trade to 1/2 kilo of your best assorted for 1 ex (trial run) complete with electric dog collar (and remote :D ) and de-clawed for safety.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.