Krill - The little amp that might... - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2009, 10:58 PM   #341
diyAudio Member

Default There are only 6 natural teachers in this forum

at least those are the ones i could recognize, the ones i could met, the ones i could detect, the ones had intention to teach and made that perfectly.... people that knows how to explain things.

Also the effort we felt from you... addicted to help, to share things, is very nice... very friendly, very cooperative, something that i believe come from a superior soul... a more developed man... those have controled Ego... the ones less selfish than others.

Congratulations Steve...our forum is big, there are monsters in know how, great designers, nice people, but good teachers...natural teachers..only few.

I could be one of those..if i had more knowledge to share...one day i will be, and will teach folks to design amplifiers in a very simple and fast way..alike "design your own amplifier in 5 minutes".. i am still developing the method with my Orkut group...this one, the group, the communitty, is beeing the pilot testing...my teaching laboratory crew.

regards,

Carlos
Old 14th January 2009, 11:13 PM   #342
diyAudio Member

Did I scare everyone off with my explanation?
Old 15th January 2009, 02:23 AM   #343
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dunlap
Most likely inspired some to get into the workshop and play around with the circuit. I'm working on plans for my case layout while await the arrival of my new soldering station.
Old 15th January 2009, 06:36 AM   #344
diyAudio Member

Default Some folks do not understand how amplifier works.... or how your amplifier operates

I could have many folks buiding mine because mine was a hell simple, a copy of amplifiers made into the seventies, adjusted copy, increased, upgraded and updated.... something very romantic that use to move sensitive people.

The understanding about how my amplifiers works was deeply informed, each resistance function, each transistor function, each circuit function.... this understanding made them trust, because if something result strange they had the "tools" to debug.

In my imagination, having not deep understanding reduces the confidence to assemble.... and each one of the interested ones will be waiting someone to assemble first (I did it... and i cannot understand why they continue scared).... the problem is that all them waiting the first one to assemble...this results no one moves.

You gonna see, after the first one build (do not know why they did not have trust on me...i have built!) others will follow that first one.

In my country we call this "Boi de Piranha"...... a bull is sacrificed when people has to cross rivers that has too much Piranha fix..... they select an old bull or cow and produce some cuts to force the animal to bleed..... then this animal is pulled using ropes to cross... the blood attract Piranha fishes that start to attack.... because of blood smell and vibrations into the watter, the hell piranha fishes goes to the bull.... they can transform and entire bull in bones after 5 minutes...only bones rest in the river bottom....but WHILE this sacrificed animal is beeing eated, the main group of cows and bulls cross the river in a very safe way.

So.... people afraigthned will wait someone to take the risk first.

Interesting...i did it..but maybe happened into the other thread and this had lost strength.

It is difficult...i have offered boards into group buy, was the second amplifier published...hundreds have assembled the first one (The standard)... even this way, having boards offered into group buy, not more than 100 boards were sold.... was the cost price, non profit......and some of those folks have not already assembled boards that still laying down over their benches.... i have worked hard and daily.... thousands of texts made, more than 200 pages.... more than 1 years...and the result was very small.... so...be patient.... you have a long run in the front of you...but this use to be very pleasant too.

It is time to seed.

regards,

Carlos
Old 15th January 2009, 06:39 AM   #345
diyAudio Member

Default Super detailed circuit description helps

each resistance function, the flow of current, charts with voltage and charts with current, SPECIFICATIONS...people loves numbers of THD and pictures...macro pictures from your circuit assembled...the one you have.... close ups.

Circuit description.. this helps when we want folks to be interested and to build our amplifiers.

They must see to feel interested.. schematic do not helps.... real thing is stronger.

Carlos
Old 15th January 2009, 06:53 AM   #346
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No ,c2c was right.. now we play with boosted bias diamond
buffer's and the lot... It seems the diamond is used in a lot of headphone amp designs (millet, etc.) yours is one of the
few to use it in a OP stage. NOT scared of the krill (sounds
like a monster )
OS

http://www.triadaudio.net/Triad_Audi...%20Mirrors.pdf
Try this as a OP stage..
Old 15th January 2009, 11:21 AM   #347
Symon is offline Symon  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Steve,
really like the design

But aren't D12 and D22 the wrong way around in the diagrams?

I also wondered if there was any advantage in replacing the 3 bias chain diodes with a vbe multiplier ?
My thought was it would be less sensitive to changes in current through the bias chain?
Old 15th January 2009, 08:34 PM   #348
diyAudio Member

Thanks Carlos. I appreciate the support.

"In my country we call this "Boi de Piranha"...... a bull is sacrificed when people has to cross rivers that has too much Piranha fix..... they select an old bull or cow and produce some cuts to force the animal to bleed..... then this animal is pulled using ropes to cross... the blood attract Piranha fishes that start to attack.... because of blood smell and vibrations into the watter, the hell piranha fishes goes to the bull.... they can transform and entire bull in bones after 5 minutes...only bones rest in the river bottom....but WHILE this sacrificed animal is beeing eated, the main group of cows and bulls cross the river in a very safe way."

In my country we use bridges or boats. Of course we don't have piranha.
Old 15th January 2009, 08:42 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ostripper

No ,c2c was right.. now we play with boosted bias diamond
buffer's and the lot... It seems the diamond is used in a lot of headphone amp designs (millet, etc.) yours is one of the
few to use it in a OP stage. NOT scared of the krill (sounds
like a monster )
OS

http://www.triadaudio.net/Triad_Audi...%20Mirrors.pdf
Try this as a OP stage..

I have seen the diamond buffer used in a number of amps as an input/driver stage. I find this to generate much useless heat. The heat produced when used as a headphone amp is manageable. The diamond buffer was also used as (are you ready for this?) a BUFFER by at least one large semiconductor company.
Old 15th January 2009, 09:27 PM   #350
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Symon
Hi Steve,
really like the design

But aren't D12 and D22 the wrong way around in the diagrams?

I also wondered if there was any advantage in replacing the 3 bias chain diodes with a vbe multiplier ?
My thought was it would be less sensitive to changes in current through the bias chain?

You are correct. D12 and D22 are shown backwards. D20 is also backwards. They are correct on the boards.

The changes in current in the bias diode chain is very small and does not produce a significant voltage change. The current here is less than 0.1mA and the change is that divided by the gain of the bias transistors. The change is also a reduction in current and I'm not sure the voltage drop on these diodes can go lower.

Any method of producing the desired voltage difference between the bases if the bias transistors will work here. Remember that the diode string does the thermal tracking, so if you replace it, you will need another method of doing that. A vbe multiplier should work if the transistor is mounted to the heat sink.

Hide this!Advertise here!