Couple of Nad 3020e questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My main question is regarding adding a pre-out to this amp, it would seem that the older 3020's had em but they took it off the newer ones. So is this possible and on a scale of 1-10 how comlex is it likely to be? The reason I'm wanting to do this is so I can include an active sub in my system more easily, I've used the tape loop and the high level inputs but i'm not keen on the amount of cables.

I also had an idea. My amp has a mono switch I was wondering whether its possible to use the l&r channels to bi-wire a pair of speakers. I happen to have no hearing in my right ear so losing out on stereo isnt really a loss to me. I imagine it would cause more problems that it solves though

I think there is currently a Japanese 'mono reproduction' Cult.
They find something remarkably nice about a single channel over two or more channels. This I think just boils down to preference . They way one likes it is the 'best' way.
Since reproduced sound can possibly never 'exactly' reproduce the original sound , one can play around to get what one likes. It doesn't HAVE to be exactly like the original. One might even like it better than the original sound. Noticed how so many people use tone controls and loudness controls ?

So , yes you can use the amp to run a bi-wire 'mono' speaker. The input however has to be mono , same on both inputs. You can make a 'crude' mono circuit by just using three resistors. It will drop the signal level and the addition will not be perfect but it will be 'more mono' than stereo and should be good enough to listen to a bi-wired mono speaker system. I think it might just sound fine especially if you are moving around or not comparing with the original sound on the disc.

Very easy to implement, not accurate , but should sound OK.

Ha... Just noticed you have a mono switch . So you have nothing to add . Just switch to mono and bi-wire the speaker . You could even parallel the tweeters and woofers ( assuming you have a stereo pair ) and hopefully your amp can handle paralleled drivers. In most cases this should be OK unless your speakers are nominally 4 ohms.

Attachments

• mono amp.jpg
    mono amp.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 173
my current speakers do happen to be 4ohms

one idea i had of implementing this would be a pair of 8 ohm fullranges on one channel and then a 4 ohm sub on the other

afaik both channels should have a 4ohm load on them

I'd probably need to find a fairly efficient sub as the amp doesnt have huge amounts of power to play with

I could be drasticly wrong here hence why i'm picking brains

Hi there. I have acquired a NAD 3020e amp but it doesn't seem to work. I opened it up and 2 of the fuses were blown. I replaced them and now all I get is a low hum through the system. Is this a blown capacitor problem?? Is it worth the time and effort to fix or should I toss it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.