ersa solder station

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, this may seem like a no brainer question to some of you guys but, i've been offered an ersa solder station at a price that i cannot turn down but it runs on 115v, can i just use a voltage converter as long as the converter is rated for the correct watts?

thanks
chris

If there is no standard option fro running the model you have at 240V/50Hz then you can use a step-down transformer BUT...

The mains transformer is probably designed for 60Hz operation only, so running it at 50Hz wil increase the flux density/losses significantly. It will run hotter and is likely to audibly hum/rattle. If the hum does not bug you then you will probably be ok. On consumer electronics (not necessarily just the cheap stuff) this means a shorter than normal life. But ERSA is a quality brand and this is industrial equipment and, if this is for home use, then the duty cycle would be much lower than would be the case for the industrial use it was designed for.

Simple answer: you should be OK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.