Help needed to sort noise issue with amp build - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2008, 09:37 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Also consider the placement of the transformers. Try wiring them opposite so the stray magnetic fields cancel.

Toroidals are prone to hum and especially on on top of another wired in the same direction. Try putting one up-side-down.
Old 1st December 2008, 09:52 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nico Ras
Also consider the placement of the transformers. Try wiring them opposite so the stray magnetic fields cancel.

Toroidals are prone to hum and especially on on top of another wired in the same direction. Try putting one up-side-down.
Hi Nico

I already have one upside against the other. Will wiring the opposite direction still make any difference here?

When you say wiring the opposite do you mean just the primary on one toroid?
Old 1st December 2008, 09:56 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I played around with mains wiring as the noise I'm hearing appears to hum related.

Here's what I tried and discovered:

- With mains wiring in the case but with only one toroid, PSU3 and two modules running(the best noise performance one and the worst) I noted identical performance compared to all electronics running. This includes performance with or without input - no change for either.

- With exactly the same conditions as above but with the mains harness(from IEC mounted on rear panel to primary winding) lengthened so that it didn't pass directly through the case from front to rear. No change again.

- The next experiment was as shown in the photo below. I bypassed that rear IEC and simply wired directly to the mains. This meant the mains input came in through the front of the case instead of rear. I also omitted chassis ground as I was getting desperate, this is only a temporary measure. I noted that noise on the worse effected module was significantly reduced. Instead of being able to hear the hum from at the listening position you needed to get around a foot from the driver.

Any thoughts?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st December 2008, 10:48 PM   #14
Account disabled at member's request

Hi Ant,
It can be really tricky to eliminate all sources of noise/hum, but you should be ahead of the game with balanced inputs. Even so, your internal wiring may pick up some garbage, therefore it's always a good idea to plan ahead of time to try and minimize some of the potential problems.
I found out the hard way on my first multichannel build that it's pays to lay everything out so as to avoid trouble. I took that further with this new one, where I have been conscious from the beginning about what needs to be done.
See in the pic the amps are shielded from the centre (where the toriod and power supplies are) with the solid sheet of aluminum. This joins with the shelf where the modules are attached to shield the bottom also. Notice the aluminum wire chase around the heatsink that carries the shielded input leads to each amp module. The power leads are twisted and neatly attached to the shield.

Click the image to open in full size.

The RCA inputs will be shielded also with a wrap around cover. As it sits, there is complete silence - no hum, no noise (other than a faint "tick tick" from the DCX2496).
This may seem extreme, but it is worth the effort IMO.
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:12 AM   #15
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Your shields in a ballanced line should be connected to ground at one end only to prevent ground loops. The XLR pins are +,- (hot, cold) and ground and theres usually a ground lug thats not used (usually the same as the pin ground) If your hum is there with the inputs shorted (+, -) the hum is generated internally.
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:30 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Are the amp input ccts. actually balanced or are you jus tusing XLRs ?
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:45 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

your module 4 is sitting alot closer to the transformer than the others, can you move the transformer a few inches for a test?
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:46 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbdb
Your shields in a ballanced line should be connected to ground at one end only to prevent ground loops. The XLR pins are +,- (hot, cold) and ground and theres usually a ground lug thats not used (usually the same as the pin ground) If your hum is there with the inputs shorted (+, -) the hum is generated internally.
Hi cbdb

Would running a link, at the chassis connector, from shield to ground achieve anything? Since they're mounted on perspex plastic with no direct connection to the chassis then I think the shield isn't needed.

Happy to proved wrong since it will be something else for me try.

Quote:
Are the amp input ccts. actually balanced or are you jus tusing XLRs ?
The modules are Aussieamps NXLSP400se which allow for a native balanced input.
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:51 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

and test for output noise with the inputs shorted, or the noise might be preamp noise
Old 2nd December 2008, 04:52 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
your module 4 is sitting alot closer to the transformer than the others, can you move the transformer a few inches for a test?
Its bolted down good but could try moving since its only bolted down.

Me and the amp designer, Anthony Holton have been talking in emails and we've discovered the source of most of the noise.

The large input film capacitors. These seem to suck up AC like crazy and then feed into the amps. If you notice there's four of these for two modules close to the IEC inlet. I moved my wiring out the way and the amps got a lot quieter regarding hum.

I cut the caps out the signal chain for one module and then shorted signal + and -. The result was complete silence and this is the module closest to the toroids.

I'm now in the process of rewiring the amp almost completely.

Hide this!Advertise here!