Mono Leach Amp Transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2008, 09:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mono Leach Amp Transformer

I would like to build a pair of mono Leach Low-TIM amps. Any suggestion on transformers? Preferrablt something available through DigiKey. There is a section for transformers for stereo amps, but none for mono. Please forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question. I'm learning
Old 29th November 2008, 11:20 PM   #2
rob3262 is offline rob3262  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.antekinc.com/index.html has a nice selection of torroids. How many watts are you trying to squeeze out?
Old 29th November 2008, 11:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Leach suggests 600-800VA for stereo, so 300-400VA would be good for mono. Bigger is always better (except for your wallet) I'd suggest sticking with around dual 40VAC unless you're looking to drive low impedance speakers, where you could drop to 35VAC without modifying the circuit.

Also check out www.Avellindberg.com. They will sell direct, and have a variety of suitable transformers. www.parts-express.com has some of Avel's line in stock. You can sometimes get free shipping from P-E, like now.

Anticipating your next question: Yes a dual 40 VAC 800 VA transformer is more than suitable for a stereo amp, and worth the ~$10 price differential from 625 VA.
Old 30th November 2008, 12:56 AM   #4
zlast is offline zlast  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zlast Send a message via MSN to zlast Send a message via Yahoo to zlast
Default Leach amp

Personally I would recommend building a stereo amp strictly from a cost perspective (only one chassis and transformer- one set of power caps etc) Check out Avel Lindberg - Parts Express is now carrying some of AL transformers. At one time you could order directly from Avel Lindberg and prices that could not be matched.

http://www.parts-express.com/webpage...=avel-lindberg

Hide this!Advertise here!