Resisitor Database

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I have produced a database that contains all the resistors I have in my box they are from a scrap amps and other broken circuits.

Problem is that many of us want to re-use these resistors but hate it everytime looking through the box and measuring the ohms,kohm,mohms as we cannot rember all the colour band unless you been in this game for very long time.

The database contains the colour of the resistor bands and qty of what i have which makes life easy when you are searching for a specific resistor from the box and all you have to do then is read the colour bands off the database and bingo. for e.g on a circuit schematic you see r2=22k, you will then open your database and look for the 22 kohm in the field column and then read off the colour bands and striaght away pick the one you need from the box and check how mnay qty you got then just update the database.

This database is great for people who have scrap resistors which are mixed with other resistors of dioffrent values. Plus you can keep a stock check on qty of a particular resistor. The databse has drop-don boxes which makes it easy to select diffrent colours and other values.

Plz email me i can email you the database for your own use, the forum file size limits me from posting it.

Hmmmm

Let's see if I can remember this right....

0= black
1= brown
2= red
3= orange
4= yellow
5= green
6= blue
7= purple
8= grey
9= white

Multiplier bands tell you how many zeros to add to the digit band numbers.

[1st digit.........2nd digit.........10^color band..........tolerance]

tolerance bands are brown for 1%, red for 2%, gold for 5%, silver for 10%, and no tolerance band for 20%. Most resistors have 2 digits and a multiplier but some have 5 bands, 3 digits and a multiplier.

:2c:

i see your point but if you collect scrap resistors and they are all mixed can pose abit of headache especially when you are reading a schematic and trying to find out if you have the relevant resistors and qty to produce this circuit, you will have to open the box full of mixed resistors and write it down but with the databse you can just open it and look on the spreadsheet and see if you have enough qty and relevant resistors without having to look through the box. plus you can also update your spreadsheet on the qty bit. i think it does help as a beginner.

Perhaps this is lame but I've never really kept or held onto used resistors because I can get them down the street for pennies a piece (New), still this could apply to anyone;

However I did end up using many resistors and still ending up with a surplus of un-used resistors that were perfectly fine. I purchased a set of plastic drawer bins from "Canadian Tire" and later continued to expand it until it had room for me to label and store all the R's I chose to keep.

I took it a bit further when I started to match transistors and allocated drawers to hold matched sets. This became very handy later on as I continued to further embrace diy amplifier projects.

I guess, before you toss them into a box of??? You could measure them and store them appropriately?

Yes, buy a parts cabinet at any home/hardware store. At least get the resistors sorted into similar groups. If you don't have enough to warrant that, buy a box of "coin envelopes" at the office supply store. Label the upper corner then make a little cardboard frame to hold a group of them. My surplus resistor collection expanded a bit beyond that so I use large plastic storage bins. I do keep a master list of what I've got, and can usually locate it within a few minutes for the less common values. High values in one bin, low in another, etc. I keep the parts cabinet full of 1/4W metal films because I use those most. The only resistors I tend to keep in unsorted bags are power resistors because they don't fit well anywhere else.

yh i know what you mean but here in britain (i couldnt find any shops in manchester/uk selling resistor parts)we dont have radio shack or resistor parts shops. I have cash to buy the resistors from shop but no money on ebay to buy them. atleast thier is a second hand shop near my house i go there and take alook for them cabinets with small drawers.

guys i really appriciate it if you can send pictures of your cabinets with resistors so i can get an idea how to set mine up when i get one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.