Amber / AP1 output transformer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2008, 05:27 AM   #1
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Default Amber / AP1 output transformer?

Iím putting together a revised low distortion spot frequency generator for distortion measurements. I want a balanced output but havenít decided on a transformer or active output yet.
The AP system 1 and Amber audio analyser used an output transformer I believe, with nfb taken from a special winding to cancel the transformers inherent distortion to <0.001%.
Does anyone know if this transformer can be readily bought as a spare or off-the-shelf part?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 26th November 2008, 10:51 AM   #2
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada

Default Re: Amber / AP1 output transformer?

Quote:
Originally posted by G.Kleinschmidt
Iím putting together a revised low distortion spot frequency generator for distortion measurements. I want a balanced output but havenít decided on a transformer or active output yet.
The AP system 1 and Amber audio analyser used an output transformer I believe, with nfb taken from a special winding to cancel the transformers inherent distortion to <0.001%.
Does anyone know if this transformer can be readily bought as a spare or off-the-shelf part?

Cheers,
Glen
Don't know about AP, but Amber does not use such an animal. A Hammond transformer is used only to provide a floating output (employing a active stages). Hammond is still manufacturing such: http://www.hammondmfg.com/560.htm
Old 26th November 2008, 10:58 AM   #3

Default Re: Re: Amber / AP1 output transformer?

Quote:
Originally posted by syn08

Don't know about AP, but Amber does not use such an animal. A Hammond transformer is used only to provide a floating output (employing a active stages). Hammond is still manufacturing such: http://www.hammondmfg.com/560.htm

Sorry, badly worded in haste - what you describe is what I mean. Thanks for the Hammond link. If you don't mind me nagging, which part # is used in the Amber and have you got an output amplifier schematic showing the implementation of that clever feedback scheme using that extra winding ?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 26th November 2008, 11:30 AM   #4

Default Re: Re: Re: Amber / AP1 output transformer?

Quote:

Sorry, badly worded in haste - what you describe is what I mean. Thanks for the Hammond link. If you don't mind me nagging, which part # is used in the Amber and have you got an output amplifier schematic showing the implementation of that clever feedback scheme using that extra winding ?

Cheers,
Glen
Glen,

I have the Amber schematics. Unfortunately I'm on the road now, tonight I may scan and post the schematic.

But I don't recall any clever feedback loop involving the transformer. The output stage is simply a class A power amp having the input fed by the transformer (to provide ground isolation). The output is feeding a second identical power stage set to G=-1.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:02 PM   #5

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Amber / AP1 output transformer?

Quote:

Glen,

I have the Amber schematics. Unfortunately I'm on the road now, tonight I may scan and post the schematic.

But I don't recall any clever feedback loop involving the transformer. The output stage is simply a class A power amp having the input fed by the transformer (to provide ground isolation). The output is feeding a second identical power stage set to G=-1.

OK, thanks. That would be great.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 26th November 2008, 12:20 PM   #6

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Amber / AP1 output transformer?

Quote:

OK, thanks. That would be great.
A memory flash brought up this reference for an AP US patent 4,614,914

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4614914.html

It is certainly not the same in the Amber.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:09 AM   #7

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Amber / AP1 output transformer?

Quote:

A memory flash brought up this reference for an AP US patent 4,614,914

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4614914.html

It is certainly not the same in the Amber.

OK, thanks - that rings a bell. I Though I wasn't imagining things
I was under the impression that the Amber unit was basically the same as the early AP.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 27th November 2008, 06:47 AM   #8
orjan is offline orjan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi,

from Lundahl:

http://lundahl.se/pdfs/papers/feedbck.pdf

Ųrjan
Old 29th November 2008, 04:58 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I would appreciate seeing the Amber schematics as well. I was able to repair my 5500 recently without them, but I think I need to recalibrate the internal frequency generator- It isn't outputting the entered frequencies accurately. Kind of a problem when you are trying to check RIAA curves.
Old 17th December 2008, 03:40 AM   #10
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Sorry to barge in on this thread, but I wanted to email Corvus corax to reply to a private message but unfortunately his private email doesn't work. I hope this reaches him. Please reply with a working email.

Hide this!Advertise here!