PS Audio Question (pre-amp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks:

Newbie Bruce here:

I have a PS-4 pre-amp and it intermittently develops a ~60hz hum/buzz, largely regardless of the input selection.

It is not other appliances--I have the circuit nicely isolated via a UPS/surge protector/line conditioner.

Has anyopne had similar issues with PS Audio gear?

Thanks for your kind consideration.

Best,

-Bruce

Look for contact problems in the 4 pin connector from the power supply umbilical. I had intermittent mute relay surprise operation a few years ago that traced out to this.

You can either clean the contacts and retension the pins, or replace - Radio Shack carried the plug ans socket the last time I checked.

Is this the PS 4.5/4.6?

Do the rotary switches still work reliably, or are they intermittent? Mine are in need of replacement but there's no drop-in substitute so it is either a major project or I scrap it.

PM me if you want the schematic for the 4.6, it is too big to post.

Good catch on rotary switches

I have the 4.5, and the rotary switches are showing serious signs of wear (increased hysterisis is the main sympton)--this results in intermittence. It is not a very user-friendly feel versus when the pre-amp was new...though I can still find the detents/stops for the switches. The locking allen screw in the rotary knobs is giving me trouble (slippage) too.

-Bruce

If you have your 4.5 apart and can take some measurements of the rotary switches and figure out the connections, I can design and etch a little adapter pcb for a Greyhill or Electroswitch rotary to replace the existing ones. Basically I'd need the same set of information shown in the attached data sheet.

this is something on my "to-do" list that hasn't made it to the top yet.

Attachments

• electroswitch_rotarypdf.pdf
    82.7 KB · Views: 285
INformative responses--thx

Hey folks:

Thanks for the help! This resource is amazing.

Specifically:

Ken Berg: Awesome suggestion! That is a really good idea. I think this may be an issue. The disadvantage that I only NOW see (thx to you) to a separate hi-current power supply is the connection. I originally loved this pre-amp for the isolation of the potentially highly noisy power electronics. Oops.

mightydub: The hinky rotary switches have been an issue for some time, but I have been highly uncertain regarding them as a source of noise. Given the likely power supply issue above, I hope to try the slighly less tricky fix initially. The switches ARE a mess, and that might be the signal for me to consider buying a new pre-amp (I am thinking, BTW of a Bryston as a reasonable, well-built replacement for the PS Audio). ALSO: thanks for the schematic and the offer on the pcb--for now that is beyond my available time. Ummm...since I have still to discover my previous repair guy's contact info, do you ever fix oldish (late 70s and 80s vintage)
B&O gear? It is a pretty highly specialized pursuit.

Cheers.

PS Audio 4.5 & 4.6 Pre-amp switch part numbers & Schematic

Mightydub supplied me with fantastic information, enabling me to fix my PS Audio 4.5 pre-amp. It had the 4.5/4.6 common problem, worn out selector switches. They are Lorlin switches, and contrary to information on the PS Audio Forum, the parts are still made, and readily available.

mightydub's info was specific to the 4.6 pre-amp, but the 4.5 and 4.6 pre-amps shared many parts. The switch part numbers are the same, and worked on my 4.5 pre-amp.

I love the sound of the PS Audio 4.5 pre-amp using the Straightwire setting, which bypasses the line level amp. If your source has a high enough output, you can select Straightwire, which bypasses the entire pre-amp, using only the volume potentiometer. Thus you are only listening to your CD or digital source output, and not the pre-amp. For vinyl records, you can choose to use only the PS Audio phono section, bypassing the line level amp. That assumes the use of a moving coil cartridge with a moderate or high output level. Pretty neat design.

I ordered the switches from Allied Electronics:
Lorlin - PT6422 - 2P 5way wafer switch mechanism-PCB kit - Allied Electronics

MANY thanks to mightydub!

Here's the information mightydub sent me:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the schematic and datasheet on the switches. The switches are a modular system, you start with the basic switch then you can add additional wafers to it. The output, tape feed, and source switches are 2 pole, 5 way though only the input selector uses all 5. The output and tape feed have a stop pin that limits it to 4 positions. The balance switch is two 12 pole wafers. The schematic is hard to follow but it all makes sense once you take the preamp apart and study it a bit.

I found the switches at Allied Electronics, you could also try Farnell in the UK. I just did a google search and see availability at a variety of places.

http://uk.farnell.com/lorlin/pt6434-bmh/switch-1pole-12-pos-tht-0-5a-250v/dp/1123674
PT6422/BMH - LORLIN - SWITCH, 2POLE, 5 POS | Newark element14
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rotary-switches/0352301/
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rotary-switches/0352294/

1 Lorlin SWITCH + 1P 12W Mfr's Part#: PT6434
3 Lorlin PCB SWITCH MECHANISM Mfr's Part#: PT6422
2 Lorlin PCB 2 POLE 5 WAY Mfr's Part#: PT602-003
2 Lorlin PCB 1 POLE 12 WAY Mfr's Part#: PT602-001

Attachments

• 4.6schematics.pdf
    783.8 KB · Views: 320
  • lorlinRotaryPT.pdf
    495.1 KB · Views: 126
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.