Aura Evolution VA100 • Clean up & upgrade

For Ricardo:
Yes as I was waiting for the Teflon as my K40Y-9 200V were not 0.492µF as sold but 0.442µF (and OEM Aura was 0.470µF MKCs and checked at 0.498 for one and 0.460 for the other ( don't remember well but not matched ) and I don't wanted to change that value.
First I wanted to fit just the PIOs. Then I needed to add caps to go to at least 0.470. PIO by itslef just sounds good in mids, bass and highs did not improved and my feeling is that they got less present. Less life to overall feeling.
Then the Teflon (2x 0.22µF 200V for the lid space, 0.470 FT-1 Teflon are just too big ;) ) and the good value:
I think gone from the 0.442 PIO to 0.485 PIO+FT-1 does it for the bottom, and the magic of Teflon makes the highs soooo ... just nice ;)
As I said when you hold something good you just feel it : " OMG, that's just sooo good, don't touch anything there !! ".
before I was just asking myself is this amp was woth it, no I just love it!
But more than just that was done (remember the BHC 4700 changed for PEH169 6800 and NE55xx for LM4562 with ZA 220/35.).

The former post is still in my head, maybe a dedicated PSU for LM4562 then will go sheileded HA package... that can be quite cheap.

I've a new link:
http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3249
I've saved the pics also here in case...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If that can tells more about the opamp duty to someone... and the gain in changing it with a Audio GD module like Moon or Earth... and/or use a regulated PSU for the +/-13V.

Thanks!

Hi Ricardo,
I do plan to fit an Audio GD Earth and a dedicated PSU for this and phono part (with switch to power on/off phono).
I try to figure the best and don't want to waste money by making steps like a LMxxxxHA ;) Or only if I can get one as sample!
BTW aop Earth is a good choise as it's very neutral, maybe will go for further investigation in a CDP where a LMxxxHA can do good also, but that's another story (a cheap Onky CDP in my hands very soon ;) °;
Matthieu

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thank you !

From what I can read in the net, I see the Earth has lower distortion the Burson V2.

Can we use these without output caps ? (V2 does it).

Are these Burson inspired chinese things ?

I am afraid that the overall cost of a Earth double opamp + shipping to Portugal + customs (60% more than parts cost) might make me tend to the bursons Brent is selling.

Please advise.

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,
on a french audio forum a guy have both Burson V1 and Audio GD in hands, seems Audio GD is the real manufacturer of Burson V1! They are physically the same! And if you read weel you can find some clues but it's nowhere written black on white for it should be a business deal ;)
Also as for I've read now the Audio GD Earth ( or Burson V1 ) are very neutral and good " everywhere" when Moon and Sun V2 may be better or worst than even a LM4562 if not used in good conditions.
As for the DC blocking caps that's a problem I'll go to ask on this french form right now! The good behaviour of the LM4562 on this point is a good bonus.

About price that's another story, I'm not in a hurry but on a budget so I've someone in China right now who will buy what I want there and bring it back for me on plane. But I will consider Brent offer also as GBP is cheap these days!
I have to make up my mind for a "definitive" choice before order anything, wainting for my cdp and such. I hold that as a long term tune up of my stuff ;) Customs should not be a concern for such a small parcel I think.
Back with some more answer soon ;)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I see you are on a "lean" period and believe you are taking the correct decisions.

You might have noticed that my mods are also very slow.... I must learn a lot, and ask many questions before I decide the next thing to do due to the growing difficulty to earn €€€.

I am interested in replacing the opamp in my pre.... It does not use a cap in the output so I need a compatible discrete build. Looking forward to your findings.

Regards

Ricardo