My first DIY amplifier 20 years a go - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2013, 02:19 PM   #511
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've noticed that the Pioneer amplifier design for 2012 home theatre models which is traditional LTP - VAS - Sanken Darlington runs also a low bias current of around 8.5mA. It was obvious to me this was designed to reduce the thermal load for 7 channels sharing one heatsink but it didn't sound half bad which matches your observation too.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 26th October 2013, 02:41 PM   #512
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I've noticed that the Pioneer amplifier design for 2012 home theatre models which is traditional LTP - VAS - Sanken Darlington runs also a low bias current of around 8.5mA. It was obvious to me this was designed to reduce the thermal load for 7 channels sharing one heatsink but it didn't sound half bad which matches your observation too.

I think the Sankens are designed to run at lower bias.
The smaller vintage amps have used C3856/A1492 for 25 years. This device
has superior SOA and much different Vsat/Ic-Vce charecteristics compared to
the typical ON/Fairchild offerings.
20-30ma bias is what the service manuals recommend as optimum.

MCM electronics has these MT-100's and the MT-200's for 2-4 usd $ apiece! Audio Output within Transistors - MCM Electronics Category

Seriously considering buying
20 of these for my 2 amps.

OS
Old 26th October 2013, 02:57 PM   #513
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
20-30ma bias is what the service manuals recommend as optimum......
OS
Ah...ha...! This seems to be close to the 35mA that I tried. But then I guess I should check out 35 mA vs 100 mA also ? As everything is in place better to try it now as a 'later' might not take place any time soon!
Old 26th October 2013, 05:24 PM   #514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostripper View Post
I think the Sankens are designed to run at lower bias.
The smaller vintage amps have used C3856/A1492 for 25 years. This device
has superior SOA and much different Vsat/Ic-Vce charecteristics compared to
the typical ON/Fairchild offerings.
20-30ma bias is what the service manuals recommend as optimum.

OS
The Pioneer amps of late use the Sanken 2SD2390/2SB1560 in TO-3 style packages. The service manual calls for 2mV across Re, which is a pair of 0R47's in parallel - hence 8.5mA. They don't use any Cdom, different compensation scheme. I have 7 pairs of these things which could be nice for Gabor's amp.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 26th October 2013, 06:46 PM   #515
diyAudio Member

You mean TO-3 (P)... alias MT100 ? I don't think they use the real metal packages
anymore.

Just looked at the 2SD2390 , thick film resistor is integrated ... local feedback from OP to internal driver.
This is another factor in the lower bias requirements.
OS

Last edited by ostripper; 26th October 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 26th October 2013, 06:49 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

Yup, them plastic with metal tab ones is the ones, not those big 2N3055-like things !
Old 6th January 2014, 03:51 AM   #517
diyAudio Member

Default Any more experimentation by anyone ?

I haven't had time to do anything more than I did earlier. However I tried the slightly different Acca version against a Bryston 3B power amp playing only one channel. I really couldn't make out any significant difference. Though I get some bass out of my speakers ( mission 701's ) I can't comment on LF control of the amplifiers. With the 701's I could not hear any diff in the bass.
My power transistors were TIP142/147.
I want to try out this circuit with discrete bipolar Darlington's so that I can raise the supply voltage. I think 100 W/8 ohms /200 watt/ 4ohms is doable. It might be a good idea to keep the number of power transistors down. I'm going by the often seen opinion that multiple power devices cause a loss of SQ though they enable more output power.
Old 6th January 2014, 12:32 PM   #518
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
I'm going by the often seen opinion that multiple power devices cause a loss of SQ though they enable more output power.
Look at my TGM8 for a possible solution - uses two pairs but one pair is run in Class C and doesn't impact sound quality during the first few watts.
Old 6th January 2014, 04:16 PM   #519
diyAudio Member

Hi Bigun,
In another post ( maybe on this thread....I don't remember !), I reported my test with a similar output pair run in class C. I called it augmented output stage. It came on only after the first power device provided some gain and worked something like a current dumper .
It did sound good and power was split between the devices. However I never compared them. Will probably do it some time.It's similar to some beefed up chip power amps. The sharing of the Re resistor is important which isn't possible in a chip power amp.
Old 6th January 2014, 04:20 PM   #520
diyAudio Member

In TGM8 you don't need emitter sharing resistors or any device matching. The Class C device won't runaway because it's normally biassed off and once the Class C device is turned on it limits the maximum current through the Class B device.

My feeling is that any impact on sound should be minimal and depends more on the driver than the output.

Edit: sorry, I see you meant 'sharing of Re' not using Re for current sharing.

Hide this!Advertise here!