My first DIY amplifier 20 years a go - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2008, 12:04 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default Fine Gabor..... the schematic is fine

thanks by the attention.... you comments about my post.

regards,

Carlos
Old 16th November 2008, 12:37 AM   #32
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi ferencz,
Was that Japanese schematic a commercial design? If so, who was it made by?
Thank you very much BTW.

Hi gaborbela,
The Japanese design actually looks pretty good. Those signal transistors they used are very good (classics in high end) and still available from vendors.

This little amp might make a very nice nice project. A board design would be a nice start. If the PCB is designed for normal transistors, you can still use darlingtons by shorting the E-B pads on the extra part. One board then does all. For 56V use, two outputs should be used.

Darlington transistors normally don't work as well as single parts. If the current through the driver isn't high enough, then it will not work well.

-Chris
Old 16th November 2008, 01:45 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hello megajoke .
Exactly , you heat the nail on the head that is what I did !!! The only fuse I used before the transformer on the AC input .That was the best solution in here .
I just didn't want to talk about because (that not the safe way is a short cut, for a little improvement ) may be someone do build the amp in the same way I do not want to be responsible .
Usually it is for safety purpose people use fuse on the PC boards or after the bridge but how I already stated I do not like fuses after the bridge rectification specially in low current biased amplifier .In another word in Class A/B amp .
In these amp we already discussed why and any another Class A/B amp the fuse on the PC board degrade the sound .
I do not want to spend $20 on a special fuse .
I know many of you disagree with these but these is my statement and I use it these way my amps .There are many different DC detectors , speakers protector , etc but that is not my cup of tea .
Please U build your amp after how think is safe and how you like it but the risk is yours who ever build these amp . Not you medajoke , anybody who build these amp or another please do not follow my bad example!

anatec you right , over 50V power supply it is better to double the output transistors .
I did built up the Darlington transistor out of two transistor (Toshiba , Motorola transistors I used ), two resistor and a diode but it the amp got somehow very slow and lifeless .
To build the Darlington out of two transistor is possible even with great result but we need to calculate to get the same speed , gain etc .
I do not have simulator .
The best for me to stick with the orig transistors . That works , rock solid even my friend biased his amp 250mA . Almost 20 years he had no problem at all ..
Another Japanese amp a bit similar to the Hiraga Class A at least the output transistors discontinued parts . I do have the original Hiraga Clone so I'm not isterested much on that . But can be a great amp to !!
I'd rather want to listening the Darlington amp than the Hiraga Class A , I do not say the Class A Hiraga not a great amp but these somehow faster much smoothness and better involving .It bring realy the musician at the front of you .
There is something in the sound what hard to explain , warm , tube like but fast with great dynamic (with 2 pair power transistors)
Like the Naim there is something in the sound that not often we can hear .
N Pass Aleph3 , it is different than the rest of the Aleps . Or one more example P Daniel Patek amplifier , there are amplifiers with better bass , better these or that but all together He still stick to his amp .
Yes I did had the opportunity to listen his system and sounds great .
Something similar in these amp is very different but in a good way .
Greetings
Old 16th November 2008, 02:00 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hello megajocke
I apologize I did wrote your name wrong .
Thant is not because I disrespect you , all my respect to all the fellow DIY-ers .
Sorry about one more time .

Greetings
Old 16th November 2008, 02:51 AM   #35
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ferencz
Hi,
Hungarian thread
It was interesting to see this Hungarian forum topic about this amplifier.
Several pages and schematics. Thanks, ferencz

We have another diyaudio member that knows the Hungarian language,
one good friend of mine: Gyuri, member profile
He, too, can do some translations for us ....
Old 16th November 2008, 02:59 AM   #36
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes, you are right, gaborbela
This amplifier has some elements same as Hiraga Class A.
Which is also one current feedback amplifier.

Tyimo is great guy. We have discussed a lot.
But looks he is not so often around this forum now.
Tyimo profile: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/membe...fo&userid=4077
Tyimo was around yesterday, but his latest post was 1 month ago ( 13th Oct 2008 )
He is also from Hungary
Old 16th November 2008, 03:23 AM   #37
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi gaborbela,
There are ways to protect a speaker load without putting anything in line with the output. A fuse between the amplifier and speaker will certainly degrade the sound, for good technical reasons. An output relay is a better choice. Just pick the right one.

There are designs out there commercially that run the protection circuit off it's own transformer. This is referred to as a "housekeeping" transformer. When the protection circuit detects a fault, it shuts the power down to the amplifier. Possibly only the output stage is shut down. Carver amplifiers shut down the entire amp and has one of the most effective protection systems I know of.

You see, you don't have to give up sound quality to have good protection for your speakers.

If you have fuses in your DC power lines, decoupling capacitors near the outputs will help quite a bit. The voltage amp section is ideally run off a voltage regulated supply.

-Chris
Old 16th November 2008, 03:26 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Hello lineup
I know Tymo from the forum about two years or more .
He did promise if he will have some free time for these project will design the PC board for these amp to me .
Probably before the end of the year .
We are friends even do we newer ever met .
Hi is a great guy and has a lot of experience about different amplifiers , speakers etc .
He built a great amplifier the choke loaded SEWA . Now he is busy because he wants to improve it to the X-ed verizon .
We change mail every week a couple times .
I hope he will have some spare time to help with these project .
I can each the PC board if I have a layout but to design that not my strength.

Greetings
Old 16th November 2008, 10:54 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default Yep.... i like the way you are conducting the thread

Very nice.

Be happy Gabor.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fotos 763.jpg (89.6 KB, 1174 views)
Old 16th November 2008, 11:00 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Hello Carlos
Thanks
Greetings from Toronto

Hide this!Advertise here!