Can you check this crossover repair job? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2008, 12:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to silentblackhat
Default Can you check this crossover repair job?

hey guys, this is just a thread to see if anyone can check to see if this is ok to use temporarily or if its ok to use for good. Recently i had a little accident with an Alpine audio crossover; long story short, it busted in half. I was able to save the thermistor(i think thats what its called, the protection for the tweeter i believe) as well as the capacitor that had one of the legs broken off.

I used epoxy to attach the 2 pieces of the circuit board. After that, i used the Alpine speaker wire on the bottom to join the parts of the circuits that were cut by the broken board.

What do you guys think, i know this might look like a crappy job but im wondering, electrically, is it "sound" to use it from now on, or will I need to get a new one somewhere? Or are there parts (like the inductor) that needs to be replaced?

Here is the thermistor that has its casing popped off, but its still good. I am going to put heat shrink around it probably.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the Inductor (air core .2mH) that is sort of broken. I tried to get it in the general shape that it used to be in and used the zip tie that the factory used on it(same type):

Here is where the parts are joined on the bottom side with the speaker wire. On a few, I just added the speaker wire in case the components i re-soldered didn't make contact(which is almost impossible but, im a little paranoid about it. If the factory contacts are good, my connections wont really matter in those cases). The green wire is from the horizontal laying inductor. The wire coming off of it was broken short from the circuit board so i just used my own wire and connected it directly, then ran that wire to the closest node on that circuit path. The Green circle is where the thermistor broke contact with the board so i added a wire there.

The top longest wire has epoxy holding it in place in a few points so it wont move around

Any opinions on this will be helpful! This will not be seen by anyone so, it doesnt have to look the best

Hide this!Advertise here!