Fast Class A Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
lineup said:
I believe!
Now I will be quiet and maybe hear our God .. finally
If I may guess it is one no-global-feedback design
I can not imagine such a fast amplifier can work with FB

fab said:

...and how can a no-global-feedback design do THD of 0.000012% ...:rolleyes:

Combination of global as well as local feed-back. Anyway thanks for the comments guys it is appreciated, I believe that we have achieved the goals set out for us.

Nico

darkfenriz said:
From the waveform one can see very little slew rate limitation, it is rather a first order filter limitation.

If that is really 250kHz, the waveform indicates a bandwidth of around 2-3 MHz (-3dB). It looks really like a square passing through RC.

Guys, could imagine this waveform compressed in time by 10 times, will that still be a nice square? It would be "only" 2,5 Mhz.

Nico, you might have designed a great amplifier, but the -1dB at 7,4Mhz is simply unbelievable to me, sorry.

I have a little experience in designing amplifiers for test equipment whilst at Hewlett Packard, the requirement for wide band linear amp for a "audio" function/signal generators operating from 15mH to 15 MHz was not uncommon.

By the way in this particular design, I was not the designer it was a team effort and I was only the project leader.

We do all kinds of development work, this was our first audio project. What was interesting, the customer was looking for a new approach as they have a legion of audio designers and a company thousand times larger and probably far more capable than us in this field.
:bigeyes:

We undertake very weird projects ranging from that of tracking people, frequency agile communication jammers, sonar, anti-lock brake systems and many more.

Interestingly, engineers working in a multitude of technologies sometimes create radical solutions.

Most of you outmatch my capabilities as an audio designer. Most of you forgot what I am still about to learn, that was my reason for opening this thread - was there something we missed.

I take a previous comment with caution, that of driving a real load. Real loads could vary by orders of magnitude.

I think those of you in the audio business have far better understanding of what can be hung on the ***-end of an amplifier.

However, we worked purely on a user requirement and trust this is what was needed.

Thank you all again for your participation and on this note I will close the thread.

Kindest regards

Nico

Nico Ras said:
- was there something we missed.
Of course… schematic in some, for you, acceptable form. Otherwise, statement: “Most of you forgot what I am still about to learn, that was my reason for opening this thread ” is ridiculous! If everything in this tread remains as is up to now, neither you nor any of us here will learn anything. In that light, similarly ridiculous is the question: “was there something we missed?” when no one ever saw even coarse sketch of topology you have used!? How on Earth are we supposed to know have you people missed something or not?
Everyone have to respect barriers you mentioned (bound by commercial contract), but then this can be seen just as a nice info or advertisement. With all due respect for your efforts and achieved results, that is the only logical way I can look at this tread.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
AKSA said:
Thank you Nico,
...and can see that you have built and tested many amps over the years. Significantly, you do not appear to be constrained by convention. I take my hat off to you (along with several others here!); progress depends upon unreasonable men......
Cheers,
Hugh

Nico Ras said:

...Thank you all again for your participation and on this note I will close the thread.

Kindest regards
Nico

Nico, you just catch your attention and we are eager to know more on this little treasure....

I think Hugh said it right, we need peoples like you to search for new ideas...

Does it mean that you wil show some info on this design on your web site?

Thanks again.

Fabien

DIY or Advert?

If its not a DIY project whats it doing here? Free advertising? I'd love to build one but that seems unlikely if its a commercial product are you releasing the circuit diagram again if not whats it doing here?

I'm not trying to insult or offend just asking what seems to be an obvious pertinant question.

RC

:confused:

Too bad we won't have any schematic.

It sounds like a lost cause. It was not worth teasing everyone I guess. To get the low distortion at 1MHz and the stellar bandwidth at 7MHz or so you probably need a very heavy feedback (maybe heavy is even not enough) and a "current type" one. That's all I can figure. You can't get that from some very good diamond buffer topology even with loads of several thousands ohm, so if you can get that with a 8 ohm load I am amazed! Maybe Nico could give us some hints about the general topology or at least how complex this design is (lets say how many transistors in the amplifier schematic...).

Regards

Nico Ras said:
THE THD AT 1 MHZ 0.003%. AND AT 10 HZ 0.0002%. aT 1 KHZ IT IS 0.000012%

TWO TONES 19KHZ AND 20 KHZ GIVES INTERMODULATION PEAKING AT -134 AND -138 DBC, JUST BELOW THE NOISE.

I AM USING FOUR PAIRS OF 2SK1058 AND 2SJ162

Get real. This is almost unrealistic even in Spice simulations.

Smells like another disguised advertising :bs:

Show us the schematics and the measurement setup or get your stuff elswhere.

Re: Re: Fast Class A Amp

syn08 said:

Get real. This is almost unrealistic even in Spice simulations.

Smells like another disguised advertising :bs:

What makes you think I need stuff from you? Do you share things you get paid for, if so you will not have a job. Have fun looking for something free.

By the way get a better simulator, free is not good.

Re: Re: Re: Fast Class A Amp

Nico Ras said:

What makes you think I need stuff from you? Do you share things you get paid for, if so you will not have a job. Have fun looking for something free.

By the way get a better simulator, free is not good.

You obviously need nothing from me. Take the conclusion of my rugged :bs: detector as unsolicited opinion for you and as free advice for all those that may want to buy into your crap.

If you don't want to share things you are paid for, then WTF are you doing here? Asking for free advice to help rounding up your income?

Nico Ras said:

I notice you have a copyright statement on your web site - why not everything for free, post the stuff here.

Everything I do is free for non commercial use, as clearly stated. It's that special class of skunky businesses I am trying to defend my work against. Not much of a success anyway, another good reason to thank God I don't have to make a living out of this sad audio business.

I'd like to thank Nico Ras for the stuff & schematics he has on his website.
Eventhough what I can see, none of those amps are close to this one.
As well as I appreciate many others for amplifier designs they want to share & discuss.

I know I have no rights to ask for more than what anyone wants to give.
And this is why I never do this ;)

Maybe you should have put your topic into Market Place forum, Nico ...

At the same time I can understand how much you wanted to share your good feelings
about this amplifier with us. We who are interested.
And I also think, you can understand well, we can feel a bit strange, now.
Members with our hobby want to know what can make up a very good amplifier.

Regards, Lineup

lineup said:
I'd like to thank Nico Ras for the stuff & schematics he has on his website.

You'd better not mention that web site. Claiming to get 45Vrms into 2 ohm (that is, 32A peak, or 1KW output power) out of 2 pairs of MJ15003/MJ15004 in a 25 years old folded cascode topology, with measured 0.0016% distortion (and calling this junk "high end"), does not help in making any other further statements credible. Neither does the other one: 250W into 4ohm from two pairs of 2SK1058/2SJ162. Both these things will blow in your face before any serious performance evaluation would start.

It's official now...

I don't think Nico Ras will come back after all your comments. I would have liked to get some more infos. I know these measurements don't sound realistic, would it be in real life or in Microcap 9 with a 0.001 nanosecond resolution. Maybe you could just be more friendly? I dont think all that was necessary... Anyway, my offer is still running, maybe Nico could answer really simple questions not deflorating his design. Like how many transistors, how much feedback, current or voltage type (even if this is always a voltage feedback electrically speaking), error correction type output or not, emitter follower or CFP output, what type of PSU (euuh, it must be very quiet if the noise is around -130dB...).

Regards

If the construction he and his collaborators has come up with
is really good we will hear about it, one way or another.
Time will tell.

Nico has been also modest about himself:
Interestingly, engineers working in a multitude of technologies sometimes create radical solutions.

Most of you outmatch my capabilities as an audio designer.
Most of you forgot what I am still about to learn,
that was my reason for opening this thread - was there something we missed.
I have seen by his posts he might have some good knowledge about RF (radio frequency) circuitry.
And if I wanted to make a very fast amplifier (too fast for audio?)
I can think of getting some good advices from people that have been in that field.
For example such things as PCB and wiring will play a bigger and bigger role
the faster amplifier will be.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
syn08 said:

...Neither does the other one: 250W into 4ohm from two pairs of 2SK1058/2SJ162. Both these things will blow in your face before any serious performance evaluation would start.

Hi,

Just to clarify that the Hafler DH-200 had 2 equivalent (same die but TO-3) pairs and gave these test results as per this web site:
http://www.nulltime.com/DIYAudio//projects/DH200/DH200review.html :
"...Perhaps one reason the higher level distortion readings are so good is that the DH-200 has a conservative power rating. I measured outputs of over 130 watts (8 ohm) from both channels at the clipping level. Into 4 ohms I was able to get about 250 watts from a single channel!..." :cool:

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Nico Ras-Fast Class A Amp
“Syn08”
Get real. This is almost unrealistic even in Spice simulations.Smells like another disguised advertising

“calvert73”
DIY or Advert? Post #25

If its not a DIY project whats it doing here? Free advertising? I'd love to build one but that seems unlikely if its a commercial product are you releasing the circuit diagram again if not whats it doing here?

I'm not trying to insult or offend just asking what seems to be an obvious pertinant question.

:cool: :confused:Show us the schematics and the measurement setup or get your stuff elswhere. if its a commercial product are you releasing the circuit diagram again if not whats it doing here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.