A forum friend has sent me this Class A created in 1967

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just simulated, not happy with the 1 Kilohertz square wave.

What do you think about this amplifier?

Have suggestions to improve?..... if positive post them here.

Would you make it different?..... how?

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• experimental class a.jpg
    experimental class a.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 720
Another image...more complete.

The amplifier uses three supplies...all them independent...no common ground.

First supply is a low power one.... 40 volts and ground.

More two supplies, with NO common ground... each one of them with 28 volts or something around that.

You have off set adjustment and iddle current adjustment.

Observe the speaker goes to both 28 volts supply, it is connected into the negative side of those supplies.

Off course, the output power depends the current you adjust...with 800 miliamperes plus 800 miliamperes you may have more than 10 watts...but you can increase to 2 amperes or a little bit more and will have around 30 watts or more. (if your transistor survive to more than 56 watts each one ( i have my doubts a single transistor can do this job)

Seems it goes flat from 1 hertz to more than 100 kilohertz... sinus was fine..but low power and low frequencies square wave was strange.

Attachments

• experimental class a - page 2.jpg
    experimental class a - page 2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 563
Yes.... i have tried Circlotron using Fets... i have assembled

And was interesting, at least different.... mine had not a very good sound... only good, was strange... seems something was missed into the wave shape.... i had not observed into scope..but it seems to me strange things should appear there, alike positive half cicle bigger than negative half cicle.... you know, sounded strange.

Sounded as something stucked.... a plumbing blocked to watter flow...the audio did not gone outside the speaker... sounded not very good... bass was poor, weak and not tigth... treble was reasonable but had not high end... was not clear the higher frequencies.... played loud... too much loud... a screaming thing.

This one was not assembled... already thinking about, and as the thread is going almost empty, seems the circuit is not something to have great hopes.... no one suggested modifications, no one said has assembled, no testimony of superior performance... the circuit seems weak into our community evaluation.

I have build the one attached.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• ciclomanen.jpg
    ciclomanen.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 453
No!... i have not i would be happy to have it

I have made the Circlotron.... finally i was not happy with it...but sounded fine.... strange but fine....not very good.... maximum i could say is good..... sligtly better than average amplifiers.... had something a little bit better related presence.... related reality into mid ranges.

I just cannot resist.... i was pisted with class A...but curiosity is the hell of my life... down here some Circlotron small movies uploaded to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhcuGzPg1qc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke9x6dWkM74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb6GEo8_ZyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-JsdKDzas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt86ofe7o_s

My E mail adress is:

panzertoo@yahoo.com

Send me the complete article.... i have problems to read in German... English, Spanish, Italian and French are not problem to me... and Portuguese is my native mother language...so.... no problem also with portuguese too.

Carlos

The one have sent me was Pierre Robertson

seems to me he may be Canadien....internet provider is "doglet".

I have answered his mail in French and he said despite his name is Pierre, his language is English (Anglais should be better to someone named Pierre).

Well...names sometimes are strange...in portuguese we have names we do not know if they are male or female (Jocelyn)

This remembers me.... always..... Johnny Cash, with the music he say:

- "My name is sue!...how do you do!"

Now people is using Emily here.... Emilia in portuguese... strange to use Emily here..... seems alike Pierre beeing used in Germany...there we spect, Hans, Klaus, Herbert, Frank, Egon, Schultz, Hermann...never Pierre!

Carlos

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It's great looking at old circuits.
Maybe the original transistors are part of "what makes this beastie tick". Some of those old Germaniums cut off at 500 Khz or so. It may rely on those characteristics ft vbe etc.

Once had circuit from 1967 for Class D discrete amp -- amazing what went on back then.
There's nothing new :)

Yes Mooly... i agree.

Yep Mooly... i can remember when i was visiting na englishman
that was living in Rio de Janeiro (1971)…he had an open reel tape recorder,
a 15 inches per second speed one…. Germanium transistors only…

He used to make recording from vinyl discs.. he used a RIAA pré
amplifier (2 stages each channel only..small and simple) and sent
the audio to the tape recording line in plugs.

I remember sound was nice… delicious I felt… vinyl sounds very good,
despite some pops we had into local discs..but never when listening
US made discs..much better ones related noises..better vinyl material and
top quality recordings…. US folks were great those days…maybe they
continue to be into this matter.

Inside the recorder Germanium transistors..only Germanium… even into
the bias oscilator.. and stabilized voltage supplies and relay switching…
poor ancient folks, down the sixties efforting themselves not to burn, they
were very sensitive to heat, low gain units, high noise, small bandwidth,
low powered units…. Nice sound.. started to conduct with 180 milivolts…
had enormous leakage (maybe this made some CCS into them..ahahahah)

Young folks do not know, or forget to thing about…but old folks had good
ears too… they had non acoustically poluted ears..not harmed ears because
the noises we have into our modern lives… they had references too, they
use to listen live Orchestra Performances…so, they know what is real, what
is high quality music…so… they were searching, those old days, for perfection
too…and they made all they could with the technology they had those days.

I am still searching a CD that can reproduce so good sound as vinyl… since
we started to our new synthethized computerized world, we forget the vinyl
sound…some folks have never listened…. There are pops but real analogue
music… waves are there..sound waves.. alike reality..into the groove there are
waves…no sampling…no reconstructions..not AD and DA convertions.. since
the first moment I have listened CD I dislike it a lot… have evoluted, bigger
sample..but really… Synthetical… you can play piano and them can play piano
Into a synthetizer… they are different… you can play guitar and them play acoustic
guitar into synthethizer… different… synthetic is synthetic… non natural
leather is non natural leather…orange juice is orange juice…chemical taste
worse.

Myabe the Germanium leakage produced a CCS effect!

I have those old folks here.. BC238, BC239... BC548, BC549

And also the 2N3055.... but no courage to assemble.

Those last weeks i have spent a lot of time into class A amplifiers, when they are not my prefered ones.

This one was not very good into simulator..when almost all amplifiers goes fine into simulators.... the good and worse ones shows good results into simulators... in the reality things goes different... imagine the one i found something strange into the simulator?

Sorry... i am afraid to assemble.

regards,

Carlos

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The first amp I ever made used AD149's and I thought it sounded great at the time.
I have just ended up here :D
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11487&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

Simulators or the trusty old 'ere 'oles. I think the 'ere 'oles have it. People need to build things more, to try different ideas and circuits. Some of the old recordings are wonderful, even stuff from the 1950's can sound more life like -- less processed than many digital recordings. There's just something about the sound.
I said 'ere 'oles. That's something completely different your thinking of :rofl: :rofl:

I have tried inductors into the output..because of the strange

damping shape wave form.... also tried capacitors and resistances.

Interesting... simulator blocked...stopped... dennied to operate, no simulation using inductors.

I am confused with that.. first time my "good will" simulator stops this way... seems to me problematic circuit.

regards,

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.