Help (for a novice) Cambridge Audio A5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2008, 03:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help (for a novice) Cambridge Audio A5

Recently I came home to find I'd left my Cambridge Audio A5 amp on all night and since then it hasn't worked.

As I live in a hot and humid climate I thought it may just need drying out, so I stuck it in a bag with some dehumidifiers, and while they absorbed a lot of liquid (not necessarily from the amp, though), it still didn't work.

So, I tried it again. It switches on and I can hear a little bit of noise in each speaker, which makes it sound fairly normal. I tried playing a CD, and when I turned it all the way up I could hear it faintly (in both channels).

So, I searched around for some tips, didn't find much, and then decided to take the lid off. I can't see any obviously blown components, but the transformer smells like it's been on fire! (No visual damage to the transformer, though).

I'm loathed to get it fixed in a shop because they would probably charge a lot of money for repairs. Any tips?
Old 7th November 2008, 04:51 PM   #2
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can bet your bottom dollar the output transistors have expired... but without doing some thorough tests, its hard to be sure.

What equipment do you have and how experienced are you?
Old 11th November 2008, 03:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am unexperienced in amplification DIY, although I've taken other things apart and put them back together again - computers, light fittings, etc.

My amp is a Cambridge Audio A5, and I've got various CD Players and DVD Players and things plugged into it. My speakers are 6 ohm 15-100 Watt Gale Silver Monitors.

Transistors sound a little cheaper than transformers... I'm pretty certain the burnt smell is coming from the transformer, though.

I'm grateful for any advice you can give me.

Hide this!Advertise here!