BOAK Power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
any comments on the boak regulator

Does anyone have any experience with this regulator? It was suggested for the A-40 & ST-150...I am curious if anyone tried it and what they think of it.

It seemed like it required a pretty high input voltage compared to the regulated output...or is this ratio pretty normal?

Also...does anyone have a clean picture of the artwork for the board? I don't think the boards are available from Old Colony at this time.

thanx
rt

Re: any comments on the boak regulator

1/137 said:
Does anyone have any experience with this regulator? It was suggested for the A-40 & ST-150...I am curious if anyone tried it and what they think of it.

It seemed like it required a pretty high input voltage compared to the regulated output...or is this ratio pretty normal?

Also...does anyone have a clean picture of the artwork for the board? I don't think the boards are available from Old Colony at this time.

thanx
rt

Send me an e-mail and I'll send you a pic from the article.

The check's in the mail, fellas. Except for Nick, your server rejected due to size of the attachments. I tried compression and sending them individually but was still prevented. If you have an alternate path, please forward to me and I'll resend. Or if you prefer, send me your address and I'll make photocopies and we can do it the old fashioned way.

In case you have not built the PS yet. Here are some comments.

In 1982 I added a Boak/Jung regulator to my Leach Low TIM power amps I had built. This amp was compared to another Leach that had 500VA toroids. Mine had a 350 VA standard transformer and the RS boost transformers that the articles used. The other amp was of superior build quality and also used flat copper conductors like some are using today. All amps were monoblocks or dual monos.

The difference in the amps was immediate and not at all subtle. The bass was more dynamic and solid, giving the sense that there was unlimited power. It seemed as though we had gotten new speakers and if anything the article is conservative in what was to be expected. The soundstage was also more three dimensional and open.

Will it do it in your amp. Don't know. We listened to a similarly modified ST150 and it was not even close to the sound of the Leaches. Maybe the Leach amp was better.

My friend immediately added regulators to his as well. However, he also doubted what should have been of little benefit and modifed another of his Leach's front end by cascoding. The regulated amp still sounded better by a long shot.

It is not a cheap option. My friend also took the time to design a board that combined the boak regulator with Jung's preregulator. These were used in all of my amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.