Accidentally wired my amplifier wrong!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay I am going to come right out and say it, I am an idiot!!! I was in a hurry and too excited to use the correct precautions, which would have saved my amp.

I accidentally wired the 12v power to my Rockford Fosgate 5005 backwards, meaning I connected the battery + to the amps - and so on. I was just testing the amp before installing it my car and unfortunately I didn't have a fuse in place. Stupid, stupid, I know. It blew two mosfets and I replaced them already, and what a joy that was. I couldn't get them to solder back to the Mehsa board so I built braces to hold them down using the exsiting screws. Everything looks good so I a hooked it up the right way and I even used a 15 amp fuse. However, I still have a problem with the amp. All it does is blow the fuses when I turn the key and power goes to the REM wire. The fuse doesn't blow until the REM power turns on. It will also blow a 20 amp fuse.

What do I need to do now?

It seems that the polarity reversal blew more components than just these two MOSFET. Check further.

The MEHSA stuff (intended to avoid you from repairing the amplifier) and the lack of a built-in fuse (intended to help you to blow it) make Rockford amplifiers anything but my favourite ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.