Son of Ampzilla meters not lit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Several months ago, one of our clients for a home theater install gave me this amp, a Nakamichi Dragon and a pair of Infinity Kappa 6's when we installed their new equipment. I put the Son of Ampzilla on a shelf and finally got around to hooking it up today. My Mcintosh 4280 has a channel that is out at low volume(speaker relay issue?). So I used the preamp out of the 4280 into the Ampzilla and it sounds great but the meters are not lit up...... Any insight into whether it could just be burned out bulbs or something worse? Don't want to poke around without any insight! Thanks in advance for any info! Cheers, D

If memory is correct there are 4 bulbs in series to back light the meters. If any of them burn out then you loose the lights. The most common problems are either bad contact between the bulb and socket or burned out bulbs. Unplug the amp, take the lid off and check the bulbs with a meter or just replace them.

The bulbs in a Son are nothing special. There should be a number on the side of the bulb. I think they are 6volt bulbs bayonet type bulbs. Take it to your hardware store and buy some replacements. Radio Slack bulbs don't hold up for very long.

The fuse style bulbs were found in SOME Ampzilla's depending on the type.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.