Marantz PM 66SE KI Signature - volume control fault

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

7 months ago I finally got round to taking my PM66 SE to a hifi shop - it's been broken a few years but I had no use for it up until then. After a long saga and much chasing :smash:, the guy finally told me (6 months later!) that a board had snapped (he'd glued it back together) and the volume control was broken. As the volume control on the PM 66SE has a motor inside for remote control operation, he said a new one would set me back £129.99 plus VAT + labour.:bigeyes:
(Actually, it's something inside the volume control, but they're so full of parts and gearing that the labour for opening it up, replacing the part and putting it back together would be more expensive...)

Clearly, the guy is a p*** artist. Unfortunately anything beyond the most basic repairs is probably beyond me.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a volume control cheaper? I don't really want to resort to getting a new amp, but if repair is going to work out that expensive maybe that's the best option :(

Thanks very much,

Adam

Dude sounds like are being ripped off I would be :hot: with those amounts. I f only you could send it to NZ I would have it repaired a lot cheaper as for another part most of the motor driven volume controls are similar and should be easy to fit:) If you wanted to upgrade you could get a alps from RS or Farnell for less than that guy told you :smash:

Replace all

Hi, I upgraded caps on my PM66KI but fried a transistor on right channel. Replaced it but now having fuses blown on powerup even when pcb connections are all unplugged.

Should I have replaced all transistors on right channel?

Hi I am a newbie to electronic repair but have learned a bit from the Pro's here.
First of all get the wiring diagram/service manual for the amp.Try and start the amp with a 45w light bulb in series to the main power cord which should limit current draw / damage.Using the service manual trace all supplied voltage rails until you find the problem.
You have most probably fried more than one transistor.So my advice would be to replace all on that channel as well as the resistors that sit next to the transistors( usually 100-200 ohms) .If the replacements are upgrades, do that channel first until the amp works, and then replace the opposing channel for balance.Also check diodes and zener diodes.
Like I said I am not an expert but in the process of repairing a Marantz pm 94 second time around.
Seafire

Transitor

Yes. It all started when I replaced original transistors back onto the heatsink after moving regulators off the board and onto heatsink. I may have not tightened the philips screw and suspect that the chip overheated. The amp played for approx. 90 seconds (sounded good) then suddenly a distorted sound, hiss, pop. I quickly powered off and could smell burnt transistor :(.

I sourced the appropriate replacement. But after repair noticed small spark from the chip TRS. 2SD1508 on power up. Thereafter power fuse is blown.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.