Crest Audio 4801 PSU Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
show us the type (mounting) and size of the given capacitors. If anything, go for slightly more capacitance, not less...as most commercial designs are a hair skimpy with energy storage.

All sizes are standardized if they are snap mount or 2.5" diameter screw in type. If it is an amplifier that is more than about 10 years old, nowadays..there is likely to be a better quality and slightly bigger cap for that given can size.

They are 1.5"dia, 3 pin snap in and approx 3" high.
I'm a little nervous at changing the values as there are 4 caps all linked in parallel, I could change them all if I was changing values, bur realistically it's going to cost in excess of £60 to do that, so I would rather source one that could just be swapped in.

DUDE THEM CAPS

Sorry if this is the wrong spot to post but hey I have no clue of what im doing on a computer im just looking for help is all . Ok so I have 2 CREST AUDIO 4801's from 11/89 and in the 4 slot rack box they came in mice were living behind them so the bottom one is a bit urine soaked but here's my deal I hooked both amps up using 1 to power 1 x 18" passive ELECTRO VOICE ELIMINATOR sub bridged mono mode and the other to power some B-52 mx1515's in stereo mode. Well I screweed uip and just ran a straight 2 wire cable to the sub powered everything up started to rock and smoke from sub amp. Opened it up and the PSU board with them big caps had been scorched on top side of board upon removal the underside of the board was all puffy and the traces had been seperrated from the board...now total junk ! I have searched the board number ,amp model everything I can think of but I need a new complete board or this amp is garbage bound. Any ideas of where I could find one or something to make this amp work again or am I just screwed and need to just buy new? Thanks everyone for your help

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> mice were living behind them so the bottom one is a bit urine soaked

Mouse pee is conductive. Plus electricity, destructive.

> .....powered everything up ....smoke from sub amp. ....PSU board ...scorched ...puffy and the traces had been seperrated from the board...now total junk!

A consolidated service manual:
Crest Audio 4801 Stereo Power Amplifier Manual | HiFi Engine
(registration is harmless)

You can't buy boards for older amps. And you can buy similar amplifiers fairly affordably. While there is not a LOT of essential stuff on those power supply boards, I would not try to re-create one if I could buy a working amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.