New Member and Biema Q400 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm new here, this is my first post so Howdy to you all. Now before I get jumped on I did a search and saw a couple of posts related to the Biema AMP's but none had the info I was after. So I thought I might ask to see if anyone has anymore info on these AMPs.

Now I'm going to use these for HT & music just at home but like alot of folks I'm after the dollar per watt value of Pro AMP's. I'm looking at either making or getting some custom made speakers for me needs which will be roughly 350w-400w @ 4oHm load.

I was looking at these Biema AMP off ebay as they can be had very cheap. My problem is I'm wondering which would sound better or be better suited to my needs. I'm trying to work out what the difference is between the Biema W330ii & the Biema Q400 in terms of quality and how it may affect the sound quality and which may be better.

I'm not going to bridge or bi-amp the speakers so I just need a stereo out-put, There seems to be very little info on these AMPs and I would love to see the inside of the Q400 if anyone has one and could post a pic please. The Q400 is meant to have independent power supplies for each channel, what does this mean in real world use ? Does that equate to better sound reproduction or anything else ?

I know so little about AMP's I'm hoping someone can enlighten me before I buy one. I have a very limited budget so that puts alot of the higher end AMps out for me.

Sorry for dredging this thread up from the murky depths, however I happen to have a pic of the internals of my Biema Q250. There is precious little information on this series of amp, let alone internal pictures, so I thought I'd share it.

The amp features reasonably beefy toroids and 10 x 2SC5198 Toshiba output transistors per channel, mounted on either side of the tunnel-cooled heatsinks. The thermal paste has been applied between the transistors and the heatsink in a fairly messy manner though - there is far too much of it and it has oozed out the sides, and has not been wiped off.

I have no idea what the square blue boxes are - they are labelled as 'professional amplifier processor'.

Piddly little power supply filter caps though - only 6 x 4700uf in total.

The amp sounds decent enough to my ears, but I have little to compare it to! I have used it for PA/DJ purposes with a pair of 15" speakers, and I have also used it with my hifi speakers with a Sansui AU-517 amp as a preamp.

biemanudies1.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.