Improved Diamond Buffer Design - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2008, 07:03 PM   #61
Account disabled at member's request

Hi Tim

The link is interesting, Ive see some power amps designs based around that topology and would have thought it performed better than the results obtained by Ciuffoli. Not bad though, I guess one could always beef up that output stage.

Tim you maybe right about there being something else too, but in tube circles guys are well aware that the 2nd harmonic is vital to the warm tube sound. They are not like SS guys they do a lot of research in listening tests, I have a test done by some guys whereby they change the spectra of a tube amp by manipulating if I can remeber correctly the feedback. They came to the conclusion the less 2nd harmonic the less warmth, but all 2nd harmonic is bad as it makes the amp muffled. Its a very interesting test they did, to see what effect the spectra have on amps. I could find it with some time, its somewhere on my harddrive, if you interested in reading it.
Old 28th November 2008, 08:53 AM   #62
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

I was looking a bit into the Superlinear-circuit yesterday in the evening, but to my surprise I cannot get the expected gain out of it.

The Pioneer schematic says that the gain is set by the ratio RL/RE which is 10:1 in Andrea's headamp. A quick simulation of the superlinear circuit with these values brings a gain of less than 1.

Does anybody also experiences that?

To my understanding the circuit should work as described and also the gain should be about that what the ratio says (I'm wondering about the influence of the current mirror loading of the common-emmitter stage though; should also give gain) - so is it again a Spice-fault? Or just a mistake on my side?

Have fun, Hannes
Old 28th November 2008, 09:45 AM   #63
Banned

TimS,
Quote:
I believe they hear the shape of a sound.
That's a hazy term. What do you mean by it?

Both FFT and wavelet analysis have serious laxities.The fundamental problem is, (see Heisenberg) that the conjugate variables, position and momentum of a moving particle cannot be determined simultaneously. The more precisely one is known, the less precise becomes the other. (Listening is the only way to know).
Old 28th November 2008, 10:15 AM   #64
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumba Ogir

Both FFT and wavelet analysis have serious laxities.The fundamental problem is, (see Heisenberg) that the conjugate variables, position and momentum of a moving particle cannot be determined simultaneously. The more precisely one is known, the less precise becomes the other. (Listening is the only way to know).
Lumba,

Are you claiming that quantum effects, like the Heisenberg incertitude principle, have an audible impact?
Old 28th November 2008, 10:55 AM   #65
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Well, well.

If one says Heisenberg uncertainty, I say classical limit.

Have fun, Hannes

PS: state whatever one wants to state - everybody is free to do that, but don't put on personal opinions a cloak of pseudo physics. Other people just don't understand and could take it as a fact.

EDIT: @Ovidiu: any comment on Pioneer's superlinear-circuit? I thought of using that as VAS in a small amp, but sim produces banana (as my collegue says).
Old 28th November 2008, 11:17 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally posted by homemodder
not like SS guys they do a lot of research in listening tests
Do some more research and you'll find commercial SS amps with variable feedback.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:24 AM   #67
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by h_a
any comment on Pioneer's superlinear-circuit? I thought of using that as VAS in a small amp, but sim produces banana
Schematic?
Old 28th November 2008, 11:45 AM   #68
Banned

Hannes,
frankly, I did not count on getting support from you, it has never happend before (but that does not make me like you less).

Could someone kindly increase the depth of my comprehension, why that circuit would be super linear, current mirrors have a negligible ability to work miracles.
Old 28th November 2008, 03:30 PM   #69
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

if it is the same circuit i'm thinking of, it's just a "marketing-ploy" type of name by pioneer.
pretty old - early to mid 80's ?

mlloyd1

Quote:
Could someone kindly increase the depth of my comprehension, why that circuit would be super linear, current mirrors have a negligible ability to work miracles.
Old 28th November 2008, 04:34 PM   #70
TimS is offline TimS  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
TimS,

That's a hazy term. What do you mean by it?
I was meaning when you hear a drum beat you hear the time domain impulse (or what I called shape), you don't hear the flat spectral response.

Cheers

Tim

Hide this!Advertise here!