OPA541 subwoofer amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am wanting to build a sub, and am now needing an amp, but do not want to pay about $100 for a cheap one from Parts Express.

So, I have desiced upon the OPA541, probably three of them in parallel. Or should I do two bridged? What exactly does a bridged amp look like? Benefits? What is a good gain for this kind of amp? What type preamp section do I need? Just an OPA2227 or something amplifying the signal? Gain there? I am trying to keep cost to a minimum, and power to a maximum. I have a 17-0-17VAC@4.7A transformer already, though I am not sure if it is good or not. It may have a short... I burned my finger on a resistor that heated up REALLY quick (within one second) the other day, but I am thinking the tranny is ok, but my power cap failed since it was smelling funny.

I see that some people use the OPA541 in GainClones... this wouldn't be bad... but what would paralleling/bridging do for me?

Why don't you check the following post?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11931

I'm also working on a cheap DIY subwoofer/amp project using OPA541 (or OPA549). Currently, I finished (well... almost) making cabinet for my subwoofer driver which I got from PartsExpress blowout sale. It seems your project would have many things in common with mine. So, what if we combine our thoughts on a single thread?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.