Computer to Amp Buzz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
try plugging the monitor into the same mains outlet as the stereo is plugged into. i had this same problem connecting a pc to a stereo and it turned out to be that the outlet the amp was connected to and the outlet the pc was connected to were on two different branch circuits. so a ground loop formed in the house ground and rca cable going between pc and stereo. this harnessed fantastic amounts of noise, including what i believe to be a faint signal from an AM or shortwave radio station. all this went away entirely when i plugged the pc's powerstrip into the same wall outlet as the entertainment center.

also sakis is right on about the difference in sound quality between the headphone out and line out of a pc sound card. seems there is always some crappy opamp driver circuit between the DAC and headphone out. there are sound cards available with true line outs that you can buy if you don't want to mod out your existing one.

my friend funcky

since it seems that you are unable to
1- remove ground from your monitor
2- inspect your psu of the pc
3- check the ground configuration of your amp
4- check the ground gonfiguration of your line out
5-and generally unable to follow any of the above advices given by me or other forum members

it would be wiser to simply buy your shelf an isolation transformer

no hard feelings but basically first you need to understand how this thing is working before you do anything . if not then you end up in ghost chasing that results that you need to replace monitor to have better sound .....

there is nothing wrong with your monitor ...... creating ground loops from any reason ( any of the above mentioned ) makes the input of your amp sensitive to pick up noises .....

hell it will only take one second and a multimeter of 4 euros to define that ..... the only thing you need to check is that if the ground signal of your so called line out is connected to the ground of your computer box .....this is the cause of your problems

ELECTRICAL GROUND OF ANY DEVICE MUST NOT BE CONNECTED TO ANY SIGNAL GROUND ....ELECTRICAL GROUND ONLY SERVES SAFETY ISSUES HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SIGNAL GROUND .....

if you cannot isolate that then you have no option but to get a transformer

regards smiles and good luck my friend

gain said:
also sakis is right on about the difference in sound quality between the headphone out and line out of a pc sound card. seems there is always some crappy opamp driver circuit between the DAC and headphone out. there are sound cards available with true line outs that you can buy if you don't want to mod out your existing one.

THANKS MAN ...... i wish others could try that and then realize how much nice music can come from a pc ....

it is physically impossible to remove ground from my monitor as all the plugs are enclosed. I have tried to plug my monitor into different sockets with no luck. Im expecting my new monitor tomorrow so when that arrives hopefully that one won't intefear, if it does I will have to get the ground loop isolator or try and find a kettle lead witout an enclosed plug (or rewire one myself)

Hey Funky, read the thread but still dont know what sound card you use.I Have very detailed sound card info, including schematics.

I had a similar problem with sound card hum , drove me nuts..
checked sound card, amps, no dice..:bawling:
found it to be my old RCA HT monitor's SMPS wasn't grounded.

Also , check the line at the outlet itself (I've seen a lot of bad/
incorrect house wiring).

That might be your problem , funky, Onboard sound usually
has no buffer preamps , DAC is emulated in software.

I have 2 realtek's in my main PC's , replaced 1 with a M-audio
and the other with a old used Sound blaster (with real DAC
and op-amps) much better!!

Some old sound cards dont have good buffers , a good one can
get noise down to -120db.

Is the amp grounded???

As well as trying Sakis suggestions, try plugging PC/amp
into a long grounded extension cord plugged up to another
outlet somewhere else in house .(different circuit)

When I move to a different rental the first thing I do is check
the wiring to keep my HT stuff safe. (found reversed mains, no ground, lots of stupid/unsafe stuff)

since

we all of us spent the night trying to help you out the last thing to be done is to canibalize the earth plugof your pc to remove the earth and tomorow you will have to buy a new one .....

last things :

did you check grounding the two devices with a piece of cable ???? did it make any changes ?????

finally if removing the ground of your pc ( this is not safe you may do a test but CANNOT KEEP OPERATING LIKE THAT ) solves the problem then i am prooven right since removing earth from your pc you also remove the link between safety earth and signal ground

i will wait for the answer of the earth cable between devices and then go to bed .....i had enough

for your shake we made DIY forum a chat room he he he

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.