Newbie to Auido - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2001, 04:44 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

C. what transitors need to be attached to a heatsink and can i run this amp on +/-50v?
Old 1st December 2001, 05:06 AM   #12
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can use 2N3055 and MJ2955 transistors for Q8 and Q7, respectively.
Only these 2 transistors need to be on a heatsink, no others.
No, you should not use a +/- 50 V supply, the article recommends +/- 35V.
Old 1st December 2001, 05:22 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

ok thanks for that, i will use a 42v PS likee it says you can, what happens when you onnect say a 150watt speaker to a 90watt Amp?
Old 1st December 2001, 06:02 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

how many amps would the PS in that article power?
dose anyone know of a different -/+35 PS i could make? that would be able to supply 5 of these amps?
Old 1st December 2001, 10:22 AM   #15
Helix is offline Helix  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The power supply shown in figure 2 is the 'classic' unregulated supply that MOST of us use in power amps. Rod Elliott uggests using a 300va transformer, so the max current you will get out is around 5A befour the voltage falls significantly.
However, if you wanted to use one PS to power 5 or 6 amps, then i would suggest at least 700w to 1kw transformer and up the smoothing caps to around 20,000uF each. I know this does sound expensive, but when the beasty is finished, it will make a serious surround sound setup. Another thing is that the you may like to power the subwoofer off a amp with seprate supply due to the high current demands that subs need.
If you still want to stick to 12v or whatever, you could think about useing the IC amps (found in car radios) that will supply around 30watts per channel. A recent artical was publish (last month i think) in elektor electronics for a computer surround sound amp. It was only 3 watts per channel though, because is you start stealing power from your computer (which has a 200-300watt power supply) your computer can have problems (hard disk dropout etc). Having said that, you could get a 12V 30Amp power supply from a radio meet quite cheaply.

Hide this!Advertise here!