How Bad Are The Amps In An Ipod Dock?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know if the amplifiers in those 3 piece sub-satellite systems are garbage?

Here's the situation.

I upgraded my speakers recently, and relegated the old ones to a spare room. I didn't have an extra amplifier, so I hooked up my $800 speakers to a $400 Ipod dock that I had. Basically I replaced the tiny little 4" Ipod Speakers with a 15" two way. Lo and behold, it didn't sound bad at all. And it's SO convenient - I love being able to charge the Ipod, play PS3 games on great speakers, etc.

Basically it's working just fine as an amplifier, and I'm happy. The amp is a 150 watt class D affair, so this isn't some cut-rate model from Wal Mart.

So here's the problem. The speakers have *very* high efficiency, so the sub can't keep up. The idea that I had was to add THREE more subs, wire them all series parallel, and hang them off the plate amp that powers the FIRST sub. Since it's series parallel, the load remains the same. But the overall efficiency will improve, with three additional subs.

Is this a bad idea?

Here's the ipod dock:

http://www.jamo.com/Default.aspx?ID=5915&M=Shop&PID=17154&ProductID=17629

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

150 W PMPO, I use a REAL 150W to drive a huge dayton 12"
sub.

this uses a small class d chip that does a true 40W and
satellites use another to do 20w/ch true rms.

I'm sure it sounds good but it can't "shake the glasses off the
table".... a true 150W with a large sub is "scary" and will
get the police called to your house ...:bawling:

BTW , that little class d chip will "scream":hot: :hot: with 3 subs
hooked to it. Get a hypex.nl 180 Watt unit (will run 2ohms)
real cheap....

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
ostripper said:
a true 150W with a large sub is "scary" and will
get the police called to your house ...:bawling:

Just 150 watts? Peanuts.

:)

Attachments

• im001570.jpg
    im001570.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 230
That all has to do with efficiency , 150W with a 92+ db/watt sub
will out "crank" a 400W sub w/88watt/db so I "save the
planet" and get the cops called for 1/3 the power !!:) :)

BTW , I dont want 1Kw.., I want most DB/ per watt
I get 150 all day / 300+ on peaks , very good for HT..
low power bills, no auditorium here..:D

Cool amp though.. must be rich/cheap canadian hydropower $$$$ !!
(my amp has only 4 outputs 65-0-65 V /50$)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Quasi1.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
ostripper said:
.. must be rich!!

No, just deranged. :D

I'm using 93db/watt drivers.
Here's the Unibox sim. Take note of the output at 500 watts. The amp has an LT tailored to the response of those drivers in that 100 litre box. The LT gives me nearly flat response down to 20Hz at 123db.

Attachments

• aa.png
    aa.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 159
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.