XLR's as speaker binding posts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some high quality XLR sockets (male and female) from a high quality PA amp. I was wondering if they are ever used as amp speaker binding posts?
I am building a gainclone on a very tight budget and want to use what I have as much as possible.

Shoog

If its a budget project, sure it'll work.

Nuetrik Speakon connectors would be more appropriate.

The thing you gotta ask yourself is, how likely is it that someone might come across this thing and try to interface it with a microphone preamp or other equipment.

I once had to put out a fire in a distribution amplifier that had been connected to a slide projector remote control. It took someone a great feat of adapters to make the two connections... but it happened. The slide projector remote was on an XLR-3-F.

A few other people had made assumptions about what other people would never think of doing. The result was a lot of smoke, and a small but pronounced flame emanating from the back of the audio rack. It was all doused before anyone caught sight of what went on. I have no idea if the slide projector was damaged.

Are you in Erie, PA? (the audio state)

Thanks for the comments I will probably go ahead and use them. It would be prity obvious what they were for because the thing is going to be a power amp. so only two ins and two outs. I like the idea of the firm grip that XLR offers and also the fact that I will be able to kiss goodbye to fiddly bare wire binding.

Shoog

Shoog said:
Thanks for the comments I will probably go ahead and use them. It would be prity obvious what they were for because the thing is going to be a power amp. so only two ins and two outs. I like the idea of the firm grip that XLR offers and also the fact that I will be able to kiss goodbye to fiddly bare wire binding.

Shoog

How big in diameter are your speaker wires? I think XLR's are pretty much maxed out with 18 gauge wire (1 mm diameter). Speakons can handle up to a 12 gauge conductor (2 mm wire).

Probably not an issue for a gain clone, but I'd double check that the wires you want to use will fit.

Phil

Also note that XLR plugs have a maximum current capability of 16 amperes for the three pole version.. I don't know if this is peak or continuous. (neutrik.com only states the rated current).

Other people have already mentioned the interfacing problem, with line level equipment. As I'm rather clumsy I wouldn't ever think of using XLR's as power connectors.. I'd plug it in wrong the very first time..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.