"An Adjustment-Free Complementary Power Amplifier" by J.Diamond

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone on DIY Audio have a copy of "An Adjustment-Free Complementary Power Amplifier" by J.Diamond 1969 and would be willing to post it on to the site?
I have seen this article referenced several times lately in various articles both on line and in journals such as Electronics and Wireless World but internet searches for a copy of the actual paper have drawn a blank (other than it is listed in a members only area of the IEEE site)
If this is an important enough article to be referenced so widely then I, and I'm sure many others would like to take a look.....curiosity 'n' all that....
;)

Hi Tony,
I tried that already.
If you follow all the links you eventually get to a point where you are invited to download the PDF......for $29 :eek:
I'm not THAT curious!
There are many technical articles on the interweb thingy that you can either pay for from one particular site...or download gratis at a different one, I know which I prefer:D
Jez.

I have never ever gotten one file from IEEE.

Whenever I search for some technial article
and get one IEEE hit in google,
I never go to that link.

They are not one Open-Source website, that offer anything for free/non-registered.
They will force you to sign up and subscribe & pay.
Furthermore, they have Add to your Cart system
which is typical for websites that make money
instead of contributing to Common Knowledge in audio, electronics and such.
Compare Shipping Options

For each item in your shopping cart,
all available shipping methods for the address selected
for that order are presented
in a pull-down window.

not for diy it is
but for those chosen few with money & education, professionals
those pros, which are quite a few of them members
in our open source communtity of www.diyaudio.com
where they can get our ideas for free, to use COMERCIALLY

Lineup

PS. there are a number of other commercial electronics magazines
that at least provide for free older audio/electronics articles.DS
I say: thanks, on behalf of The Common Knowledge body of The Peoples of The World
;)

HI lineup, djk,
It does seem a pity that even ancient history articles from 1969 which can surely have no proprietory use by now are still not in the public domain.
I often find that a referenced text from a technical article is either completely unavailable or only from a "closed to non members site" (really must get round to applying for AES membership).
Sometimes a Google search will only comeback with other articles which also reference the same text, most frustrating :smash:

I started a thread on here about a couple of years ago about this matter, the jist of which was "why not have a repository of classic technical articles, application notes etc here on diy audio as a WIKI?" There was an overwhelming lack of interest
:confused: only a few replies..... mostly along the lines of OK, you do it then!... I have niether the time or the resources.

djk; I tried that again this morning. Same result. "Save target as" just saves "login html"....Oh well, I'll take up Tony's offer to e mail it to me :)
Jez.

richie00boy

see you have several Power Supply, PSU
projects at your website

Very useful .. because any other Diy Audio Project
... will need one supply .. some times more than 1 supply :D

It is all free (not like IEEE) for non-commercial use!
:)
Projects
All designs will be published in full detail on this website for people to use freely (for non-commercial, personal use).
richie00boy, website:
http://www.readresearch.co.uk/html/projects.htm

thanks!
Lineup

richie00boy said:
I just tried about 10 times and only get login.htm. Are you guys having success downloading while at work? Maybe your company has access to IEEE by IP address, no login required. I think my old company did.

Nope, not as far as I know. Just tried it now again at work as I have it on my PC at home. Worked after the 3rd attempt.

I can send it to you if you want.

Well I'm glad I didn't pay for that. It's just a basic amp with diode bias string and the "revolutionary" thinking of using output device emitter resistors and slightly more bias voltage than the output and driver combined Vbe's, and bonding the diodes to the output devices to stabilise thermal drift. The author was well happy with obtaining 0.2% THD. Well it was 1969 lol.

AKSA Hugh Aspen Amplifiers
and me, too
have one design criteria of max THD limit ~0.05%

The resoning is that around this very low level = 0.1% THD
human hearing can not perceive any harmonic distortion, by ear.
Is our limit of hearing distortions.
Something like -60 dB.
At least perception beyond this point has never been confirmed & documented.
By any valid listening tests.

So, by using this criteria of a good amplifier
we can rest assure we make pretty good hi-fi amplifiers.

One notice:
Was not long ago even power amplifiers specifications
used: Max Power output at THD=10%
For Car Audio amplifiers, stil many use the 10% distortion level
to tell how powerful one amplifier is ;)

Today many tell Max Power RMS at THD=1.0% level.

For we, the older people. Who was around 1950, 1960, 1970
we have had & listened to good music through several Power Amps
that had more THD than 0.2%.
I can tell we even enjoyed that 60-ies music maybe MORE
than anyone can enjoy music today.
The Beatles, The Rolling Stones,
Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley
Bob Marley, The Queens
... do I need to mention more :D :D

Lineup Car Audio Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.