Amp on fire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hy

My TDA7250 based amp went on "fire" today. The problem is that i do not know what's toasted. The 7250 or the TIP142/147.
How can il tell what's fried ?

Thanks

P.S. I want to replace the 142/47 tip's with TIP 36C and 35C. Does anyone knows how they sound ? However they have maximal ratings higher than 142/147.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ford_V6 said:
Hy

My TDA7250 based amp went on "fire" today.

First thing to do is try to find out why it toasted.
Now, measuring a bad transistor is much easier than measuring a bad IC. Hope you know how to measure transistors. In case you don't know, here's a link:
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/trnsistr.htm
If you feel things are really toasted, I wouldn’t hesitate and replace the 7250 as well.

P.S. I want to replace the 142/47 tip's with TIP 36C and 35C. Does anyone knows how they sound ? However they have maximal ratings higher than 142/147.

TIP142/47 are darlingtons, TIP36/35 are normal transistors.
You can't just switch them.

/Hugo

The amp was running without the speakers connected when toasted. Is this the reason ?

I have read in another thread that this amp requires a 100 nf cap. between the + an - right next to the ic.

Now i will add this capacitor too.

I still don't know why the amp is shutting down at high volume.

When the amp toasted R17 and R19 toasted too.

I have attached the link to schematic after wich the amp is built.

http://home.eunet.cz/rysanek/tda7250.gif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ford_V6 said:
The amp was running without the speakers connected when toasted. Is this the reason ?
Probably not.

I have read in another thread that this amp requires a 100 nf cap. between the + an - right next to the ic.
If you mean pin 4 and 14, they are required.

I still don't know why the amp is shutting down at high volume.
Did he play? What do you mean with shutting down? There is an overload current protection build in the 7250. Could be that.

When the amp toasted R17 and R19 toasted too.
Can't see R17/19. BTW, wich voltage do you apply on the +/- Us?
And, are your transistors broken?

/Hugo - needs a schematic with part names.;)

I apply +/- 38 V

When i raise the volume the amp stops playing.
When i lower the volume the amp starts playing again.

When the amp toasted it was running only with one speaker conected. The TIP's are toasted too. ( C and E pins are in short circuit )

The amp played a few days.

The 100 nf cap. is not on the schematic. it has to be installed on pin 4 and 14 ?

Thanks for helping me out here

I have atached the schematic with part numbers.

Attachments

• tda7250q.zip
    35.5 KB · Views: 90
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ford_V6 said:
I apply +/- 38 V

When i raise the volume the amp stops playing.
When i lower the volume the amp starts playing again.

When the amp toasted it was running only with one speaker conected. The TIP's are toasted too. ( C and E pins are in short circuit )

The amp played a few days.

The 100 nf cap. is not on the schematic. it has to be installed on pin 4 and 14 ?

Depends how loud you go. If you raise the volume towards the limit of the amp, it will mute. (protection) If the amp mutes at low volume, it is likely the 7250 is broken or other broken parts are causing the mute.
First replace all bad components. Remember there's a major difference in schematic, using transistors vs. darlingtons. Look at the datasheet and study it:
http://us.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/1472.pdf
Forget the 100nF for the moment.

/Hugo

How do you check the chip?

Check the output pins for DC volts. If you have the rail voltage, chances are that your chip is blown. I'd replace it anyway.

That is very weird topology to me. I don't see that ever in my line of work. I only see collector resistors on a quasi complimentary amp. All others use emitter resistors.

Good luck with the amp though!

Chris

Salut Ford V_6 ,

Este vorba de un modul de putere cumparat de la Adelaida - Craiova , bazat pe TDA7250 ?

Daca da , sa stii ca au vicii de proiectare iar tranzistoarele nu rezista in sarcina la mai mult de 60 - 70Wrms in sarcina.

Toate aceste module au aceasta problema privind deconectarea la suprasarcina. Se mai poate ridica pragul de MUTE , dar , in orice caz nu merita efortul .

Daca totusi vrei sa experimentezi , incearca MJ11015/11016.
Eu am reusit sa ajung la 180W rms la +/- 48v masurat la 1% THD.
Oricum efortul nu a meritat banii si timpul pierdut.

Exista alte scheme incomparabil mai bune .

Salut !

Nu e vorba de kiturile de la adelaida. Este vorba de un amplificator realizat de mine dupa o schema luata de pe net.

Atasez schema dupa care am lucrat. Poate i-mi mai dai o sugestie ( eventual cu ridicarea pragului de mute la TIP-uri)
Poate sti si ceva despre filtrele de iesire.

Merci mult,

Attachments

• tda7250q.zip
    35.5 KB · Views: 67
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.