2SJ50 and 2SK135 mosfet transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the TO-3P will fit in the original place on the heatsink, and the B-E leads can be bent to fit in the original holes, but you will need to find a reliable way to connect the collector lead. i have seen a round lug soldered to the collector wire, and attached to the TO-3 socket by bending it up over the face of the transistor to mate with the mounting screw. remember to replace the diamond shaped mica washers with the correct sil-pad or mica washer for the TO-3P package.

unclejed613 said:
at least one pair of MOSFETs looks interesting, the BUZ901D/906D devices look like they would work well, especially since they have a very low gate threshold (about 1/2 volt!). you could almost replace a pair of bipolars with them.

Well a pair of Darlingtons, which is what a lot of people did with the early devices. The Hitachi devices, which I am fairly sure the Magnatech parts are electrically very similar, were easy to use as they had a low gain and went neg tempco after about 100 or so mA. Some of the other FET types IIRC had a high gain and did not go neg tempco untill a couple of amps needing almost as much care in thermal compensation as Bipolars. The voltage swing for Vgs to obtain full output is of course a lot higher for the Hitachi type FETS.

Hi,
all the high power (around 100W to 200W) Lateral FETs have almost identical specifications.
I suspect they are all made under license from Hitachi, although I'm sure some of the current manufacturers will claim their specs have been arrived at completely independently of Hitachi.
The LFETs can be substituted easily without any circuit changes, except for the dual die versions which may need slight value changes in some components.

i saw the 1900pf input capacitance, and wondered if they were dual die types.that is a large enough capacitance to need more drive current. IIRC, the hitachi devices were about 900pf i think i still have the original hitachi power mosfet data book from 1980 around here somewhere.

looked it up on datasheetarchive.com
ys the 2SK135 Ciss is 900pf

xecluded said:
My amp needs 2 for each of these 2SJ50 and 2SK135 mosfet transistors.
Does anyone know where I can get them in US.... Thanks.
ostripper said:
Very hard to find part.. Try littlediode.com..they have them but
they are 25-35$ apiece..owww

I have read you can sub 2sj162/2sk1058 at 10$ apiece with
minor mod because of different package TO-3/TO-247.

As ostripper said.
Those are very old mosfet (was very good for their time!).
You should try to find a some later MOSFET substitute.
- 2SK1058 and 2SJ162, from HITACHI
- 2SK1057 2SJ161 and - 2SK1056 2SJ160 are good try!

They are not too different in type. And most probably a slight modern IMPROVEMENT.

If you still want to go 'the original old' way.
You can look for these, too, from HITACHI:
2SJ48 - 2SK133 ...... 2SJ49 - 2SK134

See my attachment:

Attachments

• sj49_sk135_hitachi_mos.png
    sj49_sk135_hitachi_mos.png
    70 KB · Views: 473
Yes absolutely, it is MagnaTec: 2SK135 and 2SJ50, characteristics are the same!
According to the update of Ray's Crescendo http://members.quicknet.nl/ra.vdsteen/crescendo_en.html there are also replacements: BUZ900 and BUZ905 the same manufacturer, but if the original transistors are made we will have more chance today to find components with modern manufacturing techniques.

Question : 6h5c, that you think of this statement?
If an administrator can send to 6h5c, it would be very nice!

Alans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.