Service manual for TEAC A-919 DC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If anyone has a service manual for the TEAC A 919 DC i would be very grateful... i've just scored this amp from Freecycle and the person I'm getting it from seems to think it could be faulty.

I have Googled but only came up with one place who wanted 50 dollars for it or something like that!

Well, they were useless, and just said it was a discontinued product :x

I will try the US customer service desk, but i'm not holding my breath.

Already spotted that some idiot has repaired it and used BC182L/BC212L transistors instead of the 2SC1815/2SA1015 that the rest of the amp uses. The person I got it from mentioned the amp being "a bit quiet" on one channel and im wondering if that is why. Fortunately I have some of these transistors salvaged, so I will replace them.

Well I got bored and made some pictures. Overall i'm not impressed with the construction of the amp, although admittedly it is probably a fair few years old.

Pictures are at www.darkmatter.myby.co.uk/teac

The power output devices are 2SC2565/2SA1095, driven by 2SC2238/2SA968, and using 2SC1815/2SA1015 in the small signal stages. The interesting part is that the middle section only seems to contain part of the circuit - the psu and the output stage - the rest is on a PCB that is on the right hand side in the unit.

One odd thing is that the left hand channel has the speaker +ve as ground. The amp definitely isn't bridged - how strange is that?

I also measured DC power supplies of 71VDC symmetric - yet this thing only uses one pair of outputs per channel! It also has nasty snap-in speaker terminals and very flimsy "ribbon" type wire to the speaker terminals. Obviously someone at TEAC is having a laugh!

I am tempted to strip the guts out of this thing and build a DX Precision amp in there, but using either MJL4281/4302 or FJL4215/4315 outputs.

Anyone got any comments on all of this lark ? :)

IF IT WAS MINE .....

i could do this

first keep the circuit as is
then recap and add caps in the bank
replace the selector with input card with relays ( get to keep the switches ....)
rewire everything
use better material resistors and capacitors
change both input and output connectors
clean it up and go !!!!

this of course i would do when everything i had to do is allready done .....my estimation is around year 5026 but thats ok !!!! it can be a future project ....

in plain greek it depends on how much time you have on this jay cee ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.