Help with Mosfet module please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there Guys.
Please give some guidance. I have got two mosfet modules , 50Watt I think, which I have had since the early 1990's. They have given me exelent service with continious trouble free opperation. I have dismantled the case they were in ssome years ago and for the hell of it can not remember the precise wiring on the power supply. It has a AC pin on the PC board which I think went to the TX side of the rectifier, somewhere.

Please help, I would hate to lose these modules of take the expensive smoke out of the Tranies, I know they are obsolete. (K135; J50)

Attachments

• dsc00373.jpg
    dsc00373.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 293
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hi Beejay

Im a ex SA, when I saw this pic of yours it put a smile on my face, I also built this amp when i was still a teenager going off to Wits varsity. I built two monoblocks which are still operational and getting dust as I didnt bring them with me. They are called KW Mos120, rated for 120W, if you built them with the transformer included in the kit, I have the circuit diagram with me but not the construction tutorial which came with the kit. If youd like to find more precise info I suggest you to phone the company that sold those kits, they are called RS electronics and are situated in Springfield JHB south, they are not part of the worldwide british company with the same name, which there is in Woodmead.

This is one very very good sounding amp, which I hope you get going again.
If you manage to locate RS do yourself a favour and buy another pair of mosfets and stick them in those empty spaces. RS will most probably have stock. I modified my monoblocks for even higher performance with higher quality input and vas transistors and I can honestly tell you they sounded better than amps costing R10 000,00 and that was back in 1991 .They will do very well compared todays modern high end amps :D :D :D

Where is steelpoort, east rand??

Hi Mooly, I agree with the connection to AC on your digram, that was also how I remembered it.

Homemodder, What a pleasure Boet !!!!

Allways nice to chat to someone from the same naberhood.

Ja, I know RS Components very well, I actualy still deal with then. When I bought these back in the day, it was from a dealer in Welkom, Free State. I never Knew who the actual suppliers were. Have you seen the new ones RS UK have on offer now. I got a prise on one of the 100W mono blocks and it is very reasonable. Only about R700 or 50 Pounds. Ofcourse without case or P/Supply.

I build my own Power supply then with a 1KVA (1000Watt) Transformer and 4x 10 000uF caps. They realy pusshed well and the sound, as you say was exelent!

Due to space restrictions I need to reduce the cap bank to 2x 15 000 uF and only about 400 VA. I believe that this is still more than ample for the 60 Watt RMS block. You should remember the 80's when every body was DJ-ing somewere and bigger was better !

Steelpoort is a One-Horse-Town in the Lydenburg district. More or less halfe way between Pietersburg (Polokwane) and Nelspruit. Sinc the Gold fields and the industries around them dissapeared, This is where major developements are happening in the platinum and Ferro Chrome industries.

a Gold rush all over again.

I will definitely chat to you again.

Thanks to all for the tips and hints, hope I will be able to return the favour !!!
BJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.