pioneer a400 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2008, 11:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default pioneer a400

hi, i have a slight problem the volume pot on my pioneer a400 has gone faulty, the only problem is this pot incorporates balance control as well!

does anyone know of a replacement or could a just put a regular volume pot on in place, and just omit the balance part. does anyonehave any experence with this? or where on the pcb i should solder too?

thanks
chris
Old 5th September 2008, 04:09 PM   #2
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Here's a service manual for the A400X which should use the same pot. It's a linear pot that fake lawed with a resistor to give a log taper so a normal log pot would not work unless you remove the resistors (can't remember if a link is required in these positions).

http://www.audio-circuit.dk/Schemati...00X_int_sm.pdf

How do you know the pot's faulty as mine was a bit scratchy and just gave it a clean and it's now fine.
Old 5th September 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Account disabled at member's request

WD40 does wonders yes.
Old 5th September 2008, 10:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yes i tried to clean it with switch cleaner, however somehow this pot has a crack in the circuit board, hence needing to purchace a new pot. is there any way to fix the carbon track?
Old 6th September 2008, 06:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

WD-40? Is that a joke?

reddish, you can try conductive paint on the crack to bridge the disconnected sections together.
Old 6th September 2008, 11:53 AM   #6

Absolutely no joke, read the uses, repel moisture, luberification of moving parts, cleaning, protection against oxidation and corrosion, many more. Most excellent British product.

Conductive paint can work yes, but i think its better replacing that pot, can you take a pick of it, maybe can suggest a replacement. I think Alps has one with built in balance control.
Old 6th September 2008, 05:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

WD-40 is horrid stuff to use on a potentiometer. Period. I've had to replace dozens of pots that were sprayed with the stuff and destroyed.
Old 6th September 2008, 06:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by homemodder
Absolutely no joke, read the uses, repel moisture, luberification of moving parts, cleaning, protection against oxidation and corrosion, many more. Most excellent British product.

Conductive paint can work yes, but i think its better replacing that pot, can you take a pick of it, maybe can suggest a replacement. I think Alps has one with built in balance control.
homemodder yes!!!!!! WD40 is out is simply out of the question ..... forget everything else and just thing the oil leftovers inside your pot ....except that they work like toxic to plastics also as a magnet to dust .....
every pot sprayed with WD40 will fail in the future

Quote:
Originally posted by EchoWars
WD-40 is horrid stuff to use on a potentiometer. Period. I've had to replace dozens of pots that were sprayed with the stuff and destroyed.
Echo wars is very right .....many times i had to do the same
Old 6th September 2008, 06:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default redish

you may post a picture of the pot there is a good chance that i have an original one but i am not shure if the ones i have has also loudness pins on it also

you may e mail me if you want

( local pioneer repair shop is went out of job and i have acces to many strange parts )
Old 7th September 2008, 12:03 AM   #10

Its not really an oil, spray some on your hand and let it dry and see if there is any oily residue. I have repaired hundreds of pots in amps, in particular Rotels which some use Alps pots, my customers are happy, never one returned for the same problem with a pot. I only repair friends or their friends equipment, if anyone of them would complain I for sure would know about it.
Repels oxidation and corrosion not atracts. One of my repairs was the pots in my wireless mouse which uses conductive plastic pots, its been 2 and a half years now, still working great.

I find it odd you say this will lead to problems

Anyway if reddish can show us a pick, we can maybe help him get a new pot which is a better solution all round.

Hide this!Advertise here!