NAD 106 pre gain changes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've picked up a nice old NAD 106 pre and would like to drop the gain from around 16dB to 6dB or less.... unity would even be better but I don't know if it's possible?

I've attached the schematic of the pre amp section and think the gain is set via R314 and R322.... but I'm probably wrong.

I thought I would ask before I play.

TIA

Attachments

• nad 106.jpg
    nad 106.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 518
Hey Joe..... hang on, that's got a nice ring to it. Maybe someone should use it in a song. ;)

I tried different values of R314 down to 8R2 and with each step it lost sonics. I also tried a dividing network before the pot and it lost dynamics.

I did consider changing the circuit to an op amp buffer or a B1 buffer but more trouble than what is was worth.

In the end the clue came from Goldpoint to pad down the power amp.
http://www.goldpt.com/bal_amps.html

My power amp has an input impedance of 47K so used a 22K / 22K dividing network between the power amp input pin and input cap. Worked a treat and in addition I reduced the gain in the power amp by around 3.4dB which was the maximum recommended so gave me 9.4dB total.

I've chased high gain problems for years and even used Rothwell attenuators as well as dividing networks at the power amp RCA but still had dynamic losses as well as bass issues. For some reason doing it at the start of the power amp circuit on the PCB worked.

I now have a C162 which has a variable pre output with a 1K pot which gives up to 12dB reduction but that caused loss in dynamics and bass. So I only use the fixed output with the changes to the power amp as described above. Now the pot works between 11 to 1 for my normal listening levels and have finally fine adjustment.

I hate high gain in pre amps. :mad:

I've picked up a nice old NAD 106 pre and would like to drop the gain from around 16dB to 6dB or less.... unity would even be better but I don't know if it's possible?

I've attached the schematic of the pre amp section and think the gain is set via R314 and R322.... but I'm probably wrong.

I thought I would ask before I play.

TIA

Where did you happen to locate a schematic for the 106? I have one I am going to recap. Did you get the gain sorted out on it?

Kennyg

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...NAD 106 pre and would like to drop the gain from around 16dB to 6dB or less.......

Gain of the line-amp stage is actually set by the Tone Control network having about 16dB loss (making 16dB gain of the NFB loop). The Tone Defeat switch presumably sets the same gain so no jump when switched.

Gain hacking is a basic audio skill. When no elegant way is available, you can always pad-down. For this rig, break the feed to the top of the Volume control and stick in a resistor(s).

Attachments

• NAD106-gain-hack.gif
    NAD106-gain-hack.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 127
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.