Help with FET's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need simple help and recommendations.

I want a simple FET stage... not a DA or anything... that has a voltage gain of about 10 and that can be run from a +40v supply.

It will have an unbypassed source resistor to lower gain and lower distortion.

Should I look for FETs that have a lower inherent gain, or just get one and increase my source resistor to lower gain?

Recommendations on which FET's to use (ya I know.. the 2SK170)..

Running anywhere from 1-5mA is good. Will be driving a NPN follower with a current gain of 400. BC549.

Thanks for ANY specific recommendations.

:)

I would run the JFET with at least 5 V, probably 10 V. Too low, and they sound like crud. Too high, and they get hot and, in theory, noisy.

BTW..................

If I get one more member ask me via e-mail why cascodes have more gain, I'm gonna rant.

They don't have more gain, just more bandwidth. And for all practical (engineering) purposes, they are a single gain element; as their response is very close to that of a single pole stage.

Jocko

Line Stage

Its for a pre-amp.

So... 1v is what I want to amplify.

50K volume pot b4 FET.

So... yeah it does limit my choices....

Looking for low distortion, simple 1 gain stage, voltage gain of 10, running from 24v to 36v power supply (SLA batteries).

Cascode or not.... doesn't matter really...

BC549 emitter follower on output.

does that help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.