Metaxas Opulense - lights on but nobody home!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellow audio-martirs!

I just bought an old Metaxas Opulence, which arrived dead. Seller so far refuses to refund, so it looks like I'm stuck with it. It powers up, but no sound. I measured output impedance at the jacks - ground level, which tells me that it is muted. I wonder if anybody has a schematic, or has some hands-on knowledge of Metaxas preamps? There must be some sort of output relay or delay muting circuit or something. I can not open the unit yet, since I'm still hoping the seller may come thru after the dispute resolution is over (in about a week). It is a fairly complicated machine... Metaxas of Australia want about $200 for manual, or tell me to send the unit to them, which from NYC in shipping alone will be cost prohibitive (about 40 lbs)

Any help will be appreciated!

I have schematics for the Charisma which might help - it depends on what of the many options oyu have fitted to the Opulence. If I recall correctly, the difference is mainly in the power supply.

These preamps did not use exotic parts so a repair would be fairly straight forward.

I just checked - my schematic is pretty hard to read so I think that a scan would be illegible. But ti might give you a start if component values are not needed.

Me taxas Opulence

i did some visit to the website of manufacturer of your amplifier
first, you can order Service Manuals,
one example shows $100 for a manual

i wonder really how serious this company is
if there products are designed as they speak in information
then i would not ever touch anything from there

Let us hope reality is a bit better
Them using easy to find components is a Great Plus for DIY
3. Cutting Edge Technology
-----------------------------
Amplifiers- No wire construction with shortest possible signal path
'Capacitorless' circuits including voltage regulators-no time/phase distortion.
'One-wire' circuit path
Ultra-high speed circuits- power amplifier can put full power into 8 ohm load at 1.0 MegaHertz!
High Speed diodes in power supply
UHF technique circuit layouts
Cables-
Using fastest copper available in the world :D :D
with low signature dielectric
:D :D

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1535821
Amplifiers >Solid State >metaxas opulence preamp help
------------------------------------------------------

marknoir
That is good news.
I have a vague remembering long ago (maybe 5 years ago), about this metaxas.
That I found something interesting.
But I can not remember what it was.
What I think is, that the Main Designer of Metaxas has got very much Audio Technical knowledge.
He knows his thing.

But only having good amplifiers
is not enough to make a good company.
Not from the perspective of paying customers.

Enjoy your amplifier.
you will get one Manual / Schematic here for free.
From some nice diyAudio member.
Do not worry ... you will see I will be right ;) just you wait some days

Regards Lineup
Lineup Audio

PS. I visited your website:
http://www.shvarts.com/
Nice stuff! DS.

Bad apples

Hello and thanks

I tried it with switches in every possible position, and nothing. I used to have a very early Opulence many years ago, and now I remember too, that it would first have TWO lights on on the front, then there would be a click, and one light go out. There is a definite problem with this one, and the most annoying thing is that the seller refuses to take it back. I've only had it for ONE day. ................ site staff had a dispute, and resolved it in my favor, but so far I have not heard from seller. There are some bad apples out there!

M

Metaxas protection circuit

Well, now it is final - seller told me that I'm on my own, refused to refund the money, even after Audiogon decided in my favor. So guys, pls beware of someone named "Maynard Alonzo", if that is the real name. Advertised on Audiogon.

Thanks to Alan for his effort.

Problem seems to be in protection relay circuit, relay does not click, and outputs are grouded. So it is either the relay circuit, or there is DC on the output.

M

slr 5000 said:
lineup you are a legend !!!
i must say that the metaxas opulance pre is the most dynamic pre ive ever heard ,and is most definately worth repairing
Nrik said:
Lineup.
Any chance of getting that schematic too?
I never heard Metaxas but I read the review and often drooled over their cabinet designs.

First, I am sorry that Mark has not yet got some service manual or at least some schematic.
This would give him a fair chance to find the issue & repair.
And he could post schematic (at least the part which is concerned)
so we could put our heads together and fix this good amplifier.

slr5000.
>> most dynamic pre ive ever heard

sounds good :cool:
it is obviously true, that the designer MEXTAXAS is a great designer

Nrik.
>> I read the review and often drooled over their cabinet

Is there a link to this review, you mention, of Opulense?
I have no schematic.
Just waiting for someone to post here --- that has got schema.
Hopefully we do not have to wait for long :)

Lineup

I have been involved with repairing/rebuilding Metaxas stuff in Norway for the last ten years. I have some schematic, and I have several original power amplifier boards. I also have a couple of complete amps, original transformers, and lots of other Metaxas stuff. Most of it has been lying dormant for years, but I am willing to sell it it if any interest arise.

Regards
Roar

Great!

Lineup and Roar - fantastic posts!

Alan from New Zealand was extremely good to provide me with a Charizma scheamtic. It is not very legible, but at least it hints at what may be going on. Perhaps Roar may have something similar. If I fail at my adventure, I may send it to him for repairs!

From what I see right now it looks like there is a heavy DC servo control done by chips.

Thanks again

There was just one page.

My point about the power supply box was that if you are getting +/-30V from it then the PSU is OK. Any competent tech can get +/-30V from a bench supply to test/repair the actual preamplifier. You are trying to repair a dead unit rather than evaluate the sound.

350mV on the left channel is pretty damn sick. 3V on the other side is even worse. You have a seriously sick puppy on yr hands.

Put a shorting plug in to one of the line inputs and then select that line input, put the volume on full and the balance in the middle. Then check the offset again.

This way you will see if the fault is in the RIAA amp section or the line amp or both.

You should also put a shorting plug in the MM input and then check the output of the RIAA amp. ON the other hand if you don't have a turntable then you could ignore this and concentrate on the line amp.

Findings

So far I found the following:

1. DC protection LED on front panel is dead
2. Seems that protection circuit itself is not so hot either, as relay closes after turn-on delay and allows 3v DC to outputs on BOTH channels now
3. Output stage transistors (A1306), two per channel, have large heat sinks mounted on them. There are numbers written on them in pen, with arrows pointing to what I assume are check points: "0.065". I measured and got 0.65V, which is 10 TIMES the (recommended?) offset. Pots do not go below 0.62V, so it looks like the problem may be right there. There is also a discrepancy in voltages between these A1306 pairs, identical for both channels, which is very strange...

Mystery continues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.