Sony TA-F7B cleaning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am repairing as Vfet Sony poweramp. It looks rather filthy and i read here it is possible to put it right in the dishwasher and clean it thoroughly then. I would think this hurts the sealed lytic caps and so on. Also the aluminium front would not like the very acid cleaning tablets.

Any comments?

Don't even think about it.
It is possible to do something similar but only once you have dissasembled the amp's outsides, and removed all non-ealed components, which means pots, swithches, VU meters, trimmers, relays etc. Even then it's not just 'put it in th edishwasher' but you need something like an ultrasonic bath.
Besides, the TA-N7 is VERY rare and sought after. Would you really want to risk damaging or destroying it? If you are not sure what you are doing, better leave it to someone who is.

Dishwashing may effect the anodize on the front panel or other anodized or chromated parts. (might not, but why risk it?)

I'd opt for a simple bath or hose down with mild soap, if it is only dust.
Swish the soap and water about with a new paintbrush, to release all the surface dirt.

Rinse.
Rinse.

Dry.

Then you must dry it thoroughly.
That means a day or so in hot summer sun, or a day or so on a hot radiator in the winter, or a couple of hours in an oven set at ~125F to ~150F (100C = 212F) will dry it thoroughly.

_-_-bear

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Washed dozens of PCB's at work -- usually TV chassis. Use foam cleaner and soft brush -- then rinse. Fine on ordinary parts, don't do this for adjustable coils etc like you find in tuner IF stages etc.
Rinse and dry, use oven at 60 degrees C or so ( Most caps have an 85 degree limit and you dont want to melt any plastic parts/sleeving). It will come up like new.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.